Got a Management Buck Today...

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. This morning at 7:37AM, I was fortunate enough to take a nice management buck with my .308 A-Bolt using a Hornady 130-gr. Spire Point over 51.5 grains of W-748. Distance was only 71 yards.

ManagementBuck1.jpg

He was hit just above his front left shoulder; the stand I was in was pretty high with the bullet angling back into his lungs and just clipping the top of his heart. He fell in his tracks and was still after about 10 seconds. No other shots were required. Examination of his jaw showed him to be 4 1/2 years of age and he weighed 178 pounds on the hoof. The picture doesn't show it but he has a very prominant "Roman nose." The animal had but 9 points at this age and was culled as a management buck.

I enjoyed getting to see several deer this morning:

6:40AM: buck, but unknown point count; too dark.

7:08AM: 2 1/2 yrs, 8 or 9 points

7:11AM: 2 1/2 yrs, 10 and wide

7:20AM: 3 1/2 yrs, 12

7:22AM: 2 1/2 yrs, 10

7:37AM: the one I shot

9:02AM: 4 1/2 yrs, 12

I also saw 2 of this year's crop of does and one yearling doe....and five fat raccoons who knew just where that corn feeder was!

The animal I shot went to a poor family who will use the meat.

Best.

Way to cull the herd. I know people who would have taken a shot at 7:08am. Something to be said about patience. ;)

Nice buck! :D Nice to hear about your genorosity too :)

Now to get my first deer. Doe or Buck doesnt matter to me :D

Maybe this weekend going with my new Remington 870 12 gauge Rifled version :)

PS whats a managment buck ??

Dimitri

Quote: by Dimitri

Nice buck! Nice to hear about your genorosity too

Now to get my first deer. Doe or Buck doesnt matter to me

Maybe this weekend going with my new Remington 870 12 gauge Rifled version

PS whats a managment buck ??

Dimitri

Wow, that is great that you have got your own firearm!!!!!!!!!! Post some pics how it shoots!!!!!! Give us a "real world" analysis of how it does with slugs, sabots and buckshot. A management buck is one that has poor gene characterististics. That's a nice rack, so I can see why you are confused. Must be a great ranch!!!!!!!!!!! Ted Nugent must of hunted there!!!!!!!!

jbweld,

Actually its my 2nd the first was a "As new" FN49 my dad bought when I was really young and when he brought it home I claimed it for myself has maybe 2 bullets fired off it. My dad shot 2 bullets off it and he never used it after that. The bore looks like it's new still without rust or anything too :p

And I will post some pics the moment I shoot a few rounds to get the feeling of it first seening as its my first shotgun and I dont want to make it look bad ;).

Dimitri

Hello. No, it's in Montague County which is just north of Wise County.

A "management buck" is one that is not where he needs to be size vs rack size at certain points in his life. For example, a 2 1/2 year 9 point would not be shot but one with that number of points and particularly if with a small rack and 4 1/2 or older would be culled, but all of this is based on numbers determined by random counts done in both daylight and night over a specific route as determined by the Department of Parks and Wildlife.

Best.

That's a nice buck, Steve. You must have been expecting some long possible shots, loading such a light bullet in your .308-- I'm guessing you're getting about 3125 or so fps? I've hunted dove up there, and shot some nice deer the next county over (Clay County), and can vouch for the genes.

Don't use all your tags up on rifle shots, sir-- we want more pistol documentaries!

Yeah, and how is it that you could tell the age of the deer you didn't shoot? Did they open their mouths to show you their teeth as they walked by your stand? ;) :confused: But nice buck and thanks for the report - man 178 lbs is a big boy.

Qoute by First Freedom

Yeah, and how is it that you could tell the age of the deer you didn't shoot? Did they open their mouths to show you their teeth as they walked by your stand? But nice buck and thanks for the report - man 178 lbs is a big boy.

+1 And 3 does was all that passed by. Kinda wierd, seems like there would be more does than bucks.... At least in my experience..... Still stand by my definition of "management buck". I don't know how you would accurately know the age of a buck walking by , unless they were being let out of a pen. :confused: :rolleyes:

C'mon, Ted hunt's there too????

Dimitri, surprised about the FN 49.... Never seen you post about it.. Have you??? Do you shoot surplus 8mm in it????? What works best??????? :)

deer

that is a great deer for hunting public lands, anybody can take that deer on a ranch for the right kind of money

JB,

I never shot it to be quite honest. My dad shot 2 8mm Mauser Winchester Surprime X but thats it in the time since we got it.

The gun still looks new in the wood finish, the white paint on the range markers on the rear sight is still nice and bright. The bore looks brand new. I think my dad lucked out when he bought it. :) And I lucked out when I asked him for it and he said yes because he thought it was too heavy to use as a hunting rifle anyways :D

So no I cant give you a comparasion of ammo and the like seeing as I never let my dad use it and I never used it after I realized how new it was :p

Dimitri

About aging, in some places you can age deer pretty well by their size and especially their shape. The depth of the chest is one thing to look for. The depth of the body vs. leg length. Combine all the factors. After 4 1/2 years it gets harder because most deer have filled out by then.

Back