Got a hard one for ya!

Trapp

Alright here is the info I received over the phone...

Top loading bolt action

Says: "35 Remington" I am assuming that is the caliber

also says: "Browning patent october 16, 1900
July 03, 1902"

Serial# 24XX

Think you can help me out?

Edit: Just figured it out with the patent dates...It's a Remington Model 8, Browning invented and sold the patent to Remington arms in 1900......How do I find date of manufacture and value?

I did find that this model was used by the coppers searching for Bonnie and Clyde. It was modified to take a 15 rd clip/mag

I don't have anything specific, but with a serial number that low, it was probably made in the first full year of production. Came out in 1906 so it was likely made then or in 1907.

You need somebody with a current Blue Book to get a dollar value. If the individual one you are talking about has the extended Police Supply Co. magazine it will be worth more than a plain 5-round hunting rifle.

The only Remington Model 8 that I see in the Bluebook is a semi-auto. It says that there were approx. 60,000 made between 1906 and 1936.

100% = $700
98% = $600
95% = $500
90% = $250
80% = $200
70% = $150
60% = $140

You can chack at Remington's website

I was just given a Model 8 (also in .35 Remington) serial # 27xxx....According to Remington, it was made in Oct. of 1929 (Yes, they even give the month)...With your low serial number, it would be an early one...

Also, I read (don't rmember where) that they made 35,000 of these...then switch model deignation to Model 81, although they are essentially the same....I could be wrong about that though...

P.S. if its a Model 8, its a semiauto, not a bolt

The major change from the Model 8 to the 81 was the addition of the .300 Savage caliber and the addition of a second spring to the firing pin to prevent accidental firing from firing pin "creep."

Jim

Back