Got a challenge for you: Identify Andy Griffith's guns.

rickyrick

Been trying to guess what guns are in the rack in Mayberry's Sheriffs office/courtroom/jail while Andy is committing acts of official oppression, I can't, the scenes cut away too fast for me to determine what they are. Mostly bolt guns and a shotgun or two.

Jack Nicholson does not know:

jn3.JPG

But pictures will help?

AGShowGuns.jpg

Guns used on the show:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Andy_Griffith_Show,_The

Possibly a clue?

The guns changed over time. I remember seeing a couple M1 Garands and maybe an M1Carbine at one time.

Griffith was a combat infantryman in WW2 and landed in Normandy. He was also a big-time shotgun shooter. I have seen a pic of him loading shotgun shells on a Hollywood Model-III Special Deluxe. :)

Yeah he was pledging his fraternity in in 1945 not dodging German snipers. He did claim it on the TV Show in the fictional role of Sheriff. There may be some confusion because they used his real name in the show. But he never served.

- Don Knotts, Otis and Ernest T Bass served in WWII (as entertainers in the Army, Bass was a 1SG :D)
- Floyd the Barber served in the Army Air Corps in WWII
- Jim Nabors was exempt
- Goober was in the Air Force (peace time 50s)
- Ron Howard and none of the women ever served

Barney Fife, (Don Knotts) famously carried a revolver for which he had one round---which they made him carry in his front shirt pocket. Whenever he was allowed to load the cartridge into the gun he usually became so nervous that about half the time he discharged the gun putting it back into his holster.

It would be a fun fact to find out how many toes Barney had left on his right foot at the end of the show.

The imfdb.com says Barney’s revolver was a ‘Colt Official Police’ although he occasionally carried a ‘Colt Detective Special’.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Don_Knotts

P.S. I know you knew this, you just wanted to see if anybody would rise to the bait and restate the obvious.

Back