Gorilla glue removal

2wheelwander

Dad was gifted a Contender. The PO (aging gentleman) mistakenly used gorilla glue as gun oil. No, this is not a joke. Barrel is glued down.

I'm thinking a blued gun friendly solvent and ultrasonic cleaning?

Anyone dealt with this/suggestions?

Acetone & a Q Tip should do it with a little work. From my experience that GG really isn't all that good. Just keep the acetone away from plastic / wood.

Last edited:
Will acetone affect the bluing I'm assuming? I'm thinking whatever breaks through the gorilla glue will require the thing to be refinished. Hoping to avoid that is possible, but there may not be a choice

The glue is just visible in the joints, it isn't smeared on my any measure. Haven't seen the inside, but the outside takes some inspection to realize it. We just know he did it. I believe he just used the glue as lube oil, not CLP.

We know because he did this to a Colt SAA in beautiful shape. Its glued up as well.

How can one look the thick, gooey orange-brown glue that squeezes out of a Gorilla Glue nozzle -- and think its any kind of gun oil ?
Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

Possible he was looking to render them non-functionable? On the pistol, I would remove the grips and soak it in mineral spirits and see if that helps, if not move up to acetone. If the rifle has the barrel glued to the stock you may be in for a battle. Acetone will affect the finish of the wood, you might be looking at refinishing the stock by the time you are done.

Older gent whose had a stroke. Wife was not around to catch it. I believe he has a smidge of dementia. In his younger years there was nothing mechanical this guy couldn't do and a man of men. His wife does an outstanding job of honoring him and letting him be the husband, but also keeping him from making mistakes.

He got a few guns out to pet them when she was out.

No. Typically, ultrasonic cleaners say not to use solvents in them. Get a clean paint can and pour the acetone in that, then you can cover it to avoid evaporation.

If it was Gorilla Super Glue acetone will cut it. If it was the original Gorilla Glue it is polyurethane based and will be difficult to remove. Gorilla directions say that mechanical means is the best. I would try acetone first. If that doesn't work try denatured alcohol. Both should dissolve polyurethane, not sure about the other ingredients in the glue.

The super glue dries clear. The original glue dries to a yellow color.

Heat will break the bond quickly and will not hurt the bluing-as long as you don't overheat the metal.
The best way to do this would be with a small torch-not a big propane torch- just a little butane torch played carefully over the steel. Don't get near the wood, of course-the steel will transfer the heat where it needs to go.
Use heavy gloves to separate the parts.

Plan #1. I bought a solution made for ultrasonic cleaners and engine parts, specifically carbs. Dad is gong to remove the wood and scope, strip it as best we can including the trigger group if possible Maybe soak it in acetone for a while then the heated solution in my cleaner.

The tank is stainless steel. I'm more concerned about my tank getting contaminated by the glue residue that hurting the machine itself. Hope to get the gun tomorrow. I'm thinking soak a gallon of acetone in a bucket of hot water to raise its temp and do my best to keep the affected parts submerged.

Of course I was looking at a blued gun, and the visible glue was minimal but it nearly appeared clear. Not the foamy yellow stuff I expected to see.

Back