Gordon's Reloading Tool is stalled - Gordon has passed

FrankenMauser

Gordon, the developer of GRT, has passed.

Charlie said:
It is with a heavy heart that I announce Gordon's passing.
His death on January 19 is a tragedy first, and foremost, for his family, but also his appreciative fellow reloaders.
On behalf of the entire GRT community, I offer our condolences and best wishes to his loved ones.

The loss of Gordon hopefully does not mean the end of GRT, as many will want to keep his legacy alive.
Let us come together to preserve this software as Gordon envisioned it, an International effort at co-operation not
subject to International squabbles.

Initially, no additional submissions should be made to the GRTLab, or Translations, as no one has access to service the data.
Therefore, it will be impossible to update Powder Models, Calibers, and Bullet to the GRT database as an official release
until the possibilities of continuing Gordon's fine work are explored.

Because Gordon had a self-destruct mechanism in the program, it will expire in June.
You'll need to enable a work-around to keep the program from refusing to start.

GRT Users will loose the ability to use Public and Patreon versions starting June 1, 2022. Gordon wished Users to stay up to date with the latest versions of GRT so they would not be caught being forwards incompatible. Backwards compatibility with older User generated files has always been a goal in GRT, but it was not possible to guarantee forwards compatibility if new features required new elements in the .grtload files etc. Therefore, the end date of any version issue was established to force User to catch up. It was not meant to take away any Users ability to use the software. Gordon intended that GRT would be available for free worldwide, and only accepted Patreon donations to pay for the expenses incurred.

After a little research, and after the passing of Gordon, I was able to find a free utility that would allow all versions of GRT to continue to operate after the embedded end date. Since GRT only looks for the Operating Systems (W10) once at start up, we can simply just manually change the PC system time to an earlier date. This however, is not optimum as other programs and Internet services will be adversely affected, and even GRT would then time stamp .grtload files incorrectly. It would be very inconvenient to have to change the system time to start GRT and then change the time back every time GRT is called to screen.
[6:12 PM]
There is a utility available, that if handled properly during the initial setup, will allow the User a single click launch of GRT. The utility is "RunAsDate", and is available here, download the 32 bit version at the bottom of the page. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/run_as_date.html
GRT will start under the earlier date, and after 10 second will revert to the current date for all further operations. You may have to increase the 10 second setting if you PC starts slowly. So far this has not been experienced here.

Wow! This is a real loss. Many of the features that were being developed in GRT, like the barrel/cylinder gap argument, are valuable and not available in QuickLOAD.

Condolences to Gordon's family.

I have been Patreon supporter to the software. It is indeed a loss to everyone. I hope someone will be able to pick up the work and continue.

Rest in peace Gordon, a friend whom I have never met.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have been Patreon supporter to the software. It is indeed a loss to everyone. I hope someone will be able to pick up the work and continue.

Rest in peace Gordon, a friend whom I have never met.

-TL

+1 The same here. RIP

My condolences to the Gordon family.

I recently looked up Ironwood Designs (Matt Schuster) for my brother, he had passed. Sole person operation. Hate to see anyone pass like that and a loss to the community for the product they have created.

Its worth a ponder on how many lives are touched by those people who make good products.

FrankenMauser said:
The GRT website has been updated with a new Windows version that will run until 2048.
https://www.grtools.de/doku.php?id=start
Thanks for posting this. I had just downloaded what was then the most recent version a couple of days ago. GRT is basically waaaay over my head and I'm just feeling my way into it, but I am most distressed to hear of Gordon's demise.

Like many, I am immensely grateful for his work and for the program.

You need an account to download. I don't know whether they still accept new accounts though.

-TL

Should still be working.
Charlie posted an update yesterday about the Linux version getting a one bit (or one byte?) change to the executable file, that should allow that version to function through at least 2038. -At least on the Linux versions tested so far (mostly Wine).

Back