Goon's Gunworks 1860 Army Range Report

Georgian

Well, I finally got my Goon's Gunworks 1860 Army to the range. I ran approximately 72 shots through her today, with not a single bit of binding or cylinder lockup. The cylinder spun freely the entire time thanks to that .002 cylinder/barrel gap set by Goon. There was not a single misfire in 72 shots.....and the caps were all flying off.....not a single cap got into the action, thanks to the cap rake! This '60 is quite accurate, way more than I can do it justice.All loads were 30gr of Graf &Sons FFFG, lubed felt wad, and .454 round ball. All shots were made off-hand. I also fanned 6 shots, just like Brush Hippie did his '51 Navy the Goon worked on. All shots fired perfectly, despite not being able to see through all the smoke I was making! Although I normally shoot with a two-handed stance, the '60 is just natural for one-handed shooting.....just the way Sam Colt intended! Anyway, here's some range/gun **** for ya!!

A few pics after the shooting was done.....I hadn't even wiped the gun down or cleaned it yet, but notice how clean it looks (it was dirty, but that tight cylinder/barrel gap done by the Goon really cut down on the fouling).

And the targets:

And lastly, the target stand I made that I used for today's range test (materials cost me about $20):

In closing, I just want to say if you have a single action revolver, especially a cap and ball, don't hesitate to send it to 45 Dragoon. If a person does a damn good job for me, I point it out......and he did one hell of a good job on this 1860 Army. I definitely plan on sending more of my revolvers to him so he can work some more single-action magic!

Another advantage of closing the barrel gap, is less flame erosion of the arbor.
I picked up .36 Navy that had over .024 gap and a burn to match, I don't put enough rounds through a gun to want to have some one do the cylinder bushing mod.
Maybe if I was 30 years younger I would out live my pistols!

Where are these guys?

Georgian,

I've been real interested in this since I saw BrushHippie's vid on utube, but I can't figure out how to get in touch with Goon's Gunworks.

I've got a Uberti '51 Navy that would be a good candidate, but I don't know how to contact Goon's. How did you find them?

Thanks.

Contact Mike at goonsgunworks@gmail.com and he'll get ya fixed right up. The newer your gun is, the easier it is to work with. I sent mine to him a week after I received it from Dixie Gun Works. I should also point out if you are familiar with Bob Munden, Mike tunes his single actions similiar to what Mr. Munden did....six gun magic!

Back