• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Google chrome

ZPITA

This is my preferred browser, but I keep getting a warning of Malware from this site. Any suggestions?

Whenever I browse here, I'm either using Chrome or Safari, and I've never gotten any kind of malware warning.

What version of Chrome are you using? I'm using 24.0.1312.57 m, running under Windows XP Pro.

Kaspersky has caught several installations of malware from this site. Stuff like remote, Screen sharing, VNS installations, real bad stuff. I'm starting to think there's a... feces... among the oysters. I'm on a Mac.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZPITA, I doubt it's the site. Its sounds like you computer has been infected with some malware. I use Chrome here everyday and have never gotten any warnings of malware. Download the free version of Malwarebytes and run a full scan. Once you delete anything it finds, reboot and scan again. Repeat process until scan is clean.

Hey, all I know is I'm on this site, and Kaspersky starts roaring. What would a reasonable person conclude?
Today's security tip: Trust no one!

Strafer Gott said:
Hey, all I know is I'm on this site, and Kaspersky starts roaring. What would a reasonable person conclude?
Today's security tip: Trust no one!

Including Kaspersky!

I don't use Kaspersky, but I do use Microsoft Security Essentials, Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free. NONE have ever detected any problems on TFL.

Mal H said:
What is Kaspersky?

Kaspersky

Last edited:
I browse with Tapatalk on the phone, and with Chrome and Firefox at home. I've not seen any security warnings or issues.

Then again, I run Linux, so most of that stuff is somewhat academic to me.

Mal, can you or Tyme check using the Google Webmaster Tools? That'll usually be a good early indicator.

If someone linked a image file from a server they don't approve of, you can get that when you open that thread. Not sure if I've ever seen it at TFL or not.

The only tool that TFL uses is google analytics. That tracks what forums users use. However, if you are using FireFox, the addons Do Not Track Me; Ad Blocker Plus and Better Privacy will defeat most tracking and ad software.

As for malware, as zxcvbob said, any linked photos from certain servers can cause a "false positive."

As with Tom Servo, I also run a Linux box, with a firewall. My ADSL box uses NAT and routes certain UDP and TCP port calls to a black box. Never had a problem with the TFL/SWAT Mag servers, ever.

From the web & browser security thread:
TFL supports TLS 1.0 through 1.2. In order to avoid constant mixed-content warnings, though, you'll have to go to UserCP, pick "Edit Options" on the left, and uncheck "Show Images". This will turn embedded images into links, rather than showing the image inline.

By changing that setting, you can avoid any possibility of getting false malware positives due to inlined external images. If you turn off "show images" and you still get malware warnings, you 99% probably have malware.

Back