Goodbye 7mm-08AI

std7mag

Well the barrel on my Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI is finally shot out.
Still shoots well. But throat is waaaayyyy worn out. Bullets are seated out too far.

Going on this week in a 24" E.R. Shaw barrel in 250 Savage.
Looking forward to learning and shooting it.
But gonna miss the 7mm-08.

Sounds like it's had a good life! Still, sort of sad. I think if my 7-08 went kaput, I would have to replace it. It's not an AI, but I love the round.

The 250 Savage looks like a lot of fun too though! And I applaud the mindset that can let a good thing go to learn something new. I'm a rut-bound traditionalist myself, most of the time, but I see the shortcomings in being that way.

Well it's not the final farewell to that caliber.
At some point in time ( next year) i do plan on doing a build on a Savage Axis action.
I still have the 7mm-08AI reamer and gages.
Plan on a designated target rifle.
While i know many would doubt my choice of action and barrel i'm thinking an E.R. Shaw heavy barrel.
They have done quite well by me, and i like that i'm supporting a local company.

Would really love to try one of Pac-Nor's polygonal barrels.

Hmmm, definitely possible.

But already have barrel off, new barrel screwed loosely on.
Just waiting for USPS to deliver headspace gages. Tomorrow hopefully.

Well, i checked COAL on thr 7X57. It would work as far as the barrel is concerned.
Alas, i wouldn't be able to load the magazine. COL too long as it is now for that.
Would run into interference issues with a longer box.

Last edited:
I have an ER Shaw barrelled Savage that is a great shooter. And I know first hand that a Savage Axis can be a shooter. It takes some work to make it into it, but for guys like you and I that is the whole point I think.

I'm assuming you can run the bullet out further being a bolt action--and savage generally is generous with their magazines--you should give serious thought to the 284 win--in a lengthened cartridge it should be a great long range shooter for you. I remain convinced (meaning hopeful) that some new powder formulation is going to make that case capacity more efficient. Reminds me that I need to get back to doing some load development for the 284 AR I built.;)

Last edited:
I'm curious. Being that this is a Savage action (and therefore easy to re-install at home), couldn't you just get a gunsmith to chuck that barrel up in a lathe and trim up the rear of the barrel and re-cut the chamber?

Doyle,
Your right i could have a machinist friend of mine take 0.030" off.
But like i said, i already have the 250 Savage barrel. ( have had it for over a year now)

Stagpanther,
I have my custom Mauser in 284 Win. Shooting 150gr. ELDX, ABLR, 154gr SST. . Have been enjoying it emensly!
I also love my Ruger 77MKII in 257 Roberts. One of these days i'd like to build a 25 Souper, and a 25- 6.5mm Rem Mag.

It's been done already--the biggest problem seems to be lack of brass--place called hill billy brass seems to be the only game in town. :)

Last edited:
7 mag after all that time with the 7-08 AI I can't believe you've traded out. Lol. I'm always wanting something new to try. Gone on a lever action kick now. Love it but ready to go back to bolt guns. Meant to ask you if you were far from Tiago??

Wendy,

There will be a 7mm-08AI target rifle in my future.
Planning on getting a long action and do a 7mmRCM with this barrel for hunting.

What is a Tiago??

std7mag, Won't you be pretty close to 284 Sherman? I've got 284 long action and 280AI and I've looked at the 284 Sherman also 7 RSAUM. I haven't kept up with 7RCM and I think Pacific was making some reamers.

Back