Good used 22lr rifle?

Crash

Anyone have any opinions and prices on used a 22lr rifle.

I'm going to a gun show this weekend and looking to pick one up for hunting and plinking. Need to know what to look for as this will be my first rifle.

Thx

I'd suggest a Ruger 10/22. The reason is quite simple.... after market parts. You can get most any part you want to repair/upgrade a 10/22. You can keep it stock or turn it into a tack driver.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I will be a bit of an old fogie (as I am) and suggest a good bolt action .22 from the old days, like a Winchester 69 or 75 or a Remington 500 series (511 is a good one). These are available at reasonable prices, and are better made than current production. There are also good rifles by Mossberg, Savage/Stevens, etc.

Of course if you have to have a semi-auto (and most people do these days) then I agree with the recommendation on the Ruger 10/22.

Jim

The 10/22 or a solid bolt gun are both good choices. If you go bolt, get a bolt action that fits you. I don't know how old you are or your height, but many 22 bolts are made for younger people. These are a bad fit for adults or other type tall people :) .

I would warn you off the Norinco "take down" 22 auto. It is a very bad copy of a very good Browning. I had one for 2 days and traded it for a Viper. The Viper is a good size gun and very accurate, but my left hand wants to go right where the darn clip is.

Certainly what you plan to use it for is a major consideration, but personally I look for versatile pieces. The other thing is availability of parts, accessories, etc.

For a first time rimfire plinker you cannot go wrong with a good old semi-auto, rotary clip fed Ruger 10/22. If you get one, get a stainless model. These are much more durable and the finish will always stay nice. When you look at the used ones at the shows, look for the best NIB or excellent condition one you can find. Stay away from ones that show any amount of wear. Expect to pay $125-$175 for a blued standard, to $175 to $270 for a stainless model. Of course you could always buy a new one, but better to bargain hunt.

Another excellent choice is the Remington 552 in either ADL or BDL (plain or fancy finish). These babies are very versatile since they accept LR, longs, and shorts. They are semi-automatic, tube fed, and hold as many as 17 rounds (shorts). They are very accurate and less than $200 used. You'll see at least one at nearly every show.

Let me join the crowd in suggesting the Ruger 10/22. Inexpensive, reliable and no shortage of fun.

I'd also look into the Civilian Marksman Program and see what they have in the way of bolt guns. Bolts are a lot of fun and right now I've been playing with a Norinco Mauser 98 lookalike in 22 LR.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I think everyone should have a 10/22 for the reasons already said. I have a bolt action Ruger 77/22 I like a lot. Very good shooter. I have a Rem ScoreMaster that is also a fine old bolt action. It is old but by far the most accrete. I still see them at gunshows. But like I said, hard to beat a 10/22 for all around good 22.

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

I grabbed both a Marlin Model 60 and a 10/22 not too long ago.

The Marlin will shoot rings around the 10/22 all day long. This is the second 10/22 that I have owned. The first one 10/22 wasn't very accurate either.

Sure, there are after market parts for the 10/22. I just am amazed at how accurate the Marlin 60 is out of the box. And I purchase rifles to hit things with first, but looks are up there too.

I had some friends go shoot with me. They were novice shooters. The one having the fun that day was holding the Marlin. We took a break and I suggested they change off. Guess who had a good time then! Yup, the fellow shooting the Marlin!

Here in Reno, I bought the Marlin NEW for $129.00. I have a buddy that picked up 3 from a pawn shop - $180 total for all 3. He is really pleased too.

Check out the Marlin. You may be impressed! Head up here for the Western TFL shoot at the end of August and you can try mine yourself.

HTH

[This message has been edited by Patrick Seeber (edited July 30, 1999).]

Back