Good use for old smart phones and iPods

rickyrick

Don't throw away those old phones...

Here is an adapter to view your scope through your phone and record videos or whatever...

They sell these but you can easily build one with an old phone case, PVC pipe and a few thumb screws

http://youtu.be/JWz05FHnGVU

I think it's mostly for folks that like to take videos of their shots...

I have old iPhones, I might make one just for fun

hartcreek,some variables,you turn the whole eyepiece to vary power.I see your point on those.

Many variables ,the eyepiece is fixed and the power id varied via a ring on the tube.I think that is the type the OP is talking about.

It's looks like just an inexpensive way to get a camera view through a rifle scope or spotting scope .... However, I wouldn't spend 80$+ on the retail version, I'd get some PVC pipe and epoxy an old otter box phone case to it... Add some thumb screws and there you go....

Most people probably have this stuff laying around anyway

I'm missing something....

How can it be attached to the scope, and be using the scope, at the same time?
They're not suggesting you actually put game in the video crosshairs and shoot based on the picture you see, are they?

They're not suggesting you actually put game in the video crosshairs and shoot based on the picture you see, are they?

Actually, if properly secured, the phone will maintain a more repeatable eye position than most people can. It's seeing exactly what you would see if your eye was there, only it doesn't require a repeatable cheek weld. However, setting your zero with the camera in place would be best I imagine.

I've done the same thing with more conventional digital cameras looking through a telescope eyepiece at the Moon or a bright planet like Saturn. It can do a very nice job of imaging if the object is bright enough that a short shutter time is sufficient. The technique is also known as afocal photography.

Back