Good trigger pull guage?

mellow_c

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good trigger pull gauge. There are a ton out there with good reviews. I was hoping to hear from folks on the forum about what they prefer or would stay away from.

Links to the products would be helpful.

Thanks!:)

Piece of string and an empty milk jug.

I have a fairly cheap lyman or some such. Must be pretty accurate, it told me my 4.5# giesselle trigger was indeed 4.5#'s. Lol

Trigger pull gauge

TriggerWeight1.jpg
Homemade trigger pull tester. Coat hanger-light weight tin lid-4-1lb Lyman bars-1 box 240gr bullets=Trigger Weight Tester. The coat hanger must rest on the trigger at the same area each time, or reading will be different. Get close with the 1 lb Lyman bars, then add 240gr bullet, till hammer drops.

I'll be the first to admit that those are some real good ideas! Although I'd like something much smaller. I don't have a lot of space for a home mage gauge :)

I use Wagner Force gauges.
I don't pay the $350 retail + $115 certs traceable to NIST.

I get them used from industry on Ebay for $cheap.
You want the model with the right force range for your application.
I have one too heavy for trigger work, one too light, and one just right.

Attachments

• Measuring Colt 1911 commander slide force 3-19-2013.jpg
    Measuring Colt 1911 commander slide force 3-19-2013.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Mosin Nagant sear getting bent using force gauge to find correct change in deflection 8-19-2011.jpg
    Mosin Nagant sear getting bent using force gauge to find correct change in deflection 8-19-2011.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 16
Don't go cheap, like I did !!!

It looks like I'm using the identical force gauge that Clark is showing and it has a range of .01-6.00 lbs. Now, for single action, this is fine but for double testing you may need a higher range. I also have a Chatillon spring gauge that that seems to be more accurate than my force gauge. ..... :confused:

Stay away from the cheaper lines of spring gauges. I had a Lyman, that I had to send back. One of my local GunSmiths, is using the Lyman digital that I think is pretty darn neat. If I did not already have mine, I'd buy that one. What ever you get, make sure it captures the let-off point/indication.

Be Safe !!!

Here is a force gauge I was using last night to measure up to 40 pounds to measure a recoil spring assembly I made.

Attachments

• Wagner force gauge measuring custom recoil spring assembly 11-9-2014.jpg
    Wagner force gauge measuring custom recoil spring assembly 11-9-2014.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 27
Back