Good to be in SC

jmtbiggin

Deer season 3 weeks away and goes til Jan 2015.Time for a few juicy does,and just maybe Buck. Dont care to eat the antlers so freezer filling first.Gun of choice,old school 1903 as issued back 101 years ago.If the dogs are running,Win Model120.

Three weeks until the best time of year for SC Sportsmen, great fishing, deer hunting, doves, football etc. I'm ready for all of it. Only thing that sucks is the mosquitos are going to be thick with all the rain we've had.

Then again, deer season opens next weekend if you're in certain game zones, bucks in velvet.

Biggin, have you ever gotton onto that Savannah River Nuclear facilty hunt? I looks like a lot of fun. I investigated it when I thought my wife was going to wind up taking a job at a university near there. It's almost like going deer hunting using dove shoot rules.

Never hunted SRS, been thru it alot on 125. Would love to get in there. Pretty sure the land is leased for hunting. Very very remote areas.Signs everywhere ,"No stopping,No standing.Kinda wierd.

Is your 1903 one of the one's still chambered in 30-03? :) I used to have one in '06 but wasn't happy with the groupings. The barrel had seen TONS of use and abuse so I got rid of it for a K98.

SRS hunts aren't what they are cracked up to be. Last time I went it was a lottery pick to see who could hunt. I drew a tag but my dad didn't. Ended up giving it to someone else. Just didn't want to go with out my dad. Now I would much rather hunt at Bostick Plantation. Great hog and deer hunts.

I miss SC and hunting on Ft. Jackson. I used to live in Lexington and enjoyed going deer hunting with my buddy who belonged to a dog club... good times.

In ME we get one deer. One buck unless you win a doe permit (I get one about every 5 years), in which case you can take a doe instead.

Bow season starts soon, but if you get your deer with a bow, then your out for rifle season.

My wife like to point out that the "free" venison works out pricier than Kobe beef if I figure in all my gear.

So enjoy yourself, but take a moment between successful hunts and remember all us unfortunates.

One deer a season would be a waste of my time. I love SC bag limits. Its only restricted to a daily limit and doe tags from Sept 15 (if I remember right) to the end of the season. You can buy up to 4 or 5 doe tags for the season. I've only bought 2 for the last 5 years. Hard to go home during prime season while AD.

It's 4 tags @ $5.00/tag for residents. Plus you have the doe days starting late September or early October. If you shoot a bow, every day is a doe day after September 15. Legislation is in the works to address buck limits and some antler restrictions to try and keep the "its got horns, kill it" crowd in check to try and get some size on some deer.

Most clubs that are worth a darn have a size limit you can shoot or you pay a fine. Ours is pretty strict, 16" outside and 8 points or better. Shoot under that and write a $250.00 check 1st offense, $500.00 2nd and you're done if you do it a third time since you are only allowed 2 bucks a season. If you take two legal bucks and see one that you have to shoot, you can pay a $250.00 trophy fee and shoot it.

Actually bow season opens on Saturday for us. Wish I could go but a torn muscle in my arms keeps me from pulling it back.

Back