Good spotting scope?

Justin

I am interested in getting a spotting scope. However, I really don't know anything about them.
Ideally I would like something rather inexpensive, but decent.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Justin

Just a few suggestions. Get the largest objective lens you can afford, the bigger the lense the higher the price. Get an eyepiece that is set at an angle to the body of the scope. Search the net for info on eyepieces and the different focal lengths that eyepieces come in. Some of the telescope companies have a lot of information on their web sites. An hour or two of reading the different sites will be worth the time.

Unfortunately, "good" and "inexpensive" represent an oxymoron when refering to spotting scopes.

I'd check out a Kowa. You see more of them than anything else on the line at Perry.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

Hi There!

The reply that follows this post suggested astronomy sources...thats where I jumped in.I bought a telescope and I did quite a lot of research on the beastie and the barbie accesories...

You might try the Orion 'red dot' scope. You can pick it up for cheap at http://www.scopetronix.com/ You can also cvheck out the Orion web site . Good luck. BTW, the 'red dot' is a beauty. Does'nt fuz up your night vision and aids in the alignment of our telescope just fine. If you need more info on sites and sources, let me know.

<rcicone@earthlink.net>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caliban:
I am interested in getting a spotting scope. However, I really don't know anything about them.
Ideally I would like something rather inexpensive, but decent.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Justin
[/quote]

Justin: What do you want it for? If you want it for High Power Service Rifle shooting, then I'd get what I see most of on the firing line: Kowa. Large, heavy, expensive, but good.

If you're looking for something to take hunting, that's a different beast...

M1911

I have a Kowa TSN-2 with 77mm objective. Bought it used from a fellow who had to get a Zeiss. Best purchase I ever made. I can look for hours through it when birding without fatigue. That is a real test.

Mine has the 20-60 variable eyepiece.

[This message has been edited by 700PSS Shooter (edited November 06, 2000).]

As far as a scope goes, I'd be using it strictly for target shooting.
I would like to be able to see .22 holes at 50 ft, and it would be even better if I could see .223 holes out to about 200 yds.
Just something that is an all around decent scope for spotting on the pistol or rifle range.
Cost should be under $300, but preferably under or around $150.

Thanks for your help,
Justin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caliban:
As far as a scope goes, I'd be using it strictly for target shooting.
I would like to be able to see .22 holes at 50 ft, and it would be even better if I could see .223 holes out to about 200 yds.
Just something that is an all around decent scope for spotting on the pistol or rifle range.
Cost should be under $300, but preferably under or around $150./B][/quote]

.22 holes at 50 feet is easy. The Kowa will let you see .223 holes at 200 yards, light permitting. But the Kowa is around $700 and up.

I have a cheap spotting scope that I bought used, and I have a hard time seeing .223 holes at 100 yards. But that's partly because at my range, the targets are in the shadows.

M1911

Back