Good source for Bulgarian surplus Maks?

gunrack

Inactive
Anybody got a good source for one of these? I was all set to place my order through AimSurplus and was told that they were out and might not be getting any more. I've seen them advertised from J&G Sales, SOG International, and some other places, but it seems like I've heard some negative comments on these places or maybe the quality isn't quite the same.

I get down to J&G sales about twice a year, and until now I've never had a problem with them. Their only problem as I see it is a lock of knowledgable people. Some folks there know there stuff, but there are a few new guys that shouldn't be working in the firearms field.

Now having said that I still think they are a good outfit to deal with. I"ve looked at several Makarovs there and they all looked good.

A note about SOG. I know two different dealers that won't ever work with them again. They received revolvers from them that couldn't even be fired. SOG told them that they would not take them back. So buyer beware.

I agree about SOG. A lot of people get their catalog, and the stuff looks great. But it has been my experience (being in my local gun dealer when he recieves the packages) that their idea as to condition, doesn't jibe with most other peoples. Hand picked might mean something that is in about 60% condition. Just buy a copy of The Shotgun News, it is full of Makarovs.

I've ordered, for myself and friends, a number of Bulgarian Makarovs from both Aim Surplus and J&G Sales. All have been fine. A few of the Aim pistols showed a little more wear than the J&Gs (which looked practically new), but I think this was probably just cooincidence (orders were months apart). I've also read a few complaints about J&G, so I was a little nervous, but I've ordered from them several time without a problem. I'd go ahead and order from J&G if Aim (my favorite vendor of this type) is out. J&G doesn't give you the extra magazine that probably came with the pistol, but they sell extras (probably stripped from the pistols) cheap.

Doug

My girlfriend just claimed a Makarov that we bought at J&G for $99. We actually went to their place in Prescott and bought the first pistol that the smith/salesman showed us. It looked pretty beat up at first and covered in cosmoline, but to be honest the pistol cleaned up far better than we ever expected. The slide and internals look very good and the rifling on the barrel looks as new. Great deal, I recommend them if you can get there in person and if not, ask to speak to the older salesman that is also a smith. He is a great guy and picked out a nice Mak for us at the best price I have seen.

I ordered one from AIM surplus prior to Thanksgiving and was getting MIGHTY annoyed with them when, at 3 days prior to Christmas, it still had not arrived. So I called them and they said they never received my check and order letter.

Okay, count to ten...I DID let it go for quite a while prior to calling them to check...the US mail MIGHT have lost the letter...yeahsureright. Whatever.

I was (to my admittedly biased eye) firm but polite in dealing with the poor guy on the phone (regardless of who screwed what up, it wasn't *his* fault), thanked him for his time and hung up, vowing to myself never to do business with THOSE guys again.

3 days after new years I get a letter from OKLAHOMA with my letter to AIM enclosed in it. Also inside was a letter from a very confused gentleman wondering how he got my letter when it OBVIOUSLY said Ohio on the outside, and apologizing (!) for making me wait almost a month before he sent it back to me, at his expense (seems he was out of the country on business).

Huuuh.

Moral of the story? AIM seems like a decent business (their customer service reps deal with cranky people nicely enough), and if you send them correspondance that they do not acknowledge, well...it probably went to OK. :P

Mike :D

I bought a Hi-Power from AIM and was very pleased with the service. If you go to the Unoffical Hi-Power page you can talk to hundreds of guys that buy from AIM.

Back