Good shotgun for HD that's affordable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OddShot

Inactive
I'm brand new to the firing line, and couldn't pass this forum up. I'm looking into getting a shotgun for home defense use but have no idea what I'm looking for. Something in a 12ga. pump. Other than that, I'm all ears. I don't want to spend more than 500 if I can help it. Thanks.

$500 will get you any of a number of good 12-gauge pumps, with at least $100 left over for practice ammo. Alphabetically:

Benelli Nova
Ithaca (? model ?)
Mossberg 500/590
Remington 870
Winchester 1300 Defender

Cheaper yet are the Maverick (by Mossberg) and Norinco (Chinese copies).

Consider used. Shotguns don't wear out if they're taken care of, and you can avoid the plastic parts more and more manufacturers are using.

Do a search on any of the names listed and you'll find plenty of info and opinion.

And, welcome.

OddShot; Welcome to TFL. Well, the most popular are short barreled Mossbergs, Remingtons and Winchesters. To each his own and everyone has their favorite. BIG FIVE sporting goods has a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a 181/2" AND a 28" barrel for $219.95. Remingtons and Winchesters seem to be a bit more. Next you want to figure what to stoke that puppy with. Opinions will vary from birdshot to slugs. Do you live in a house or apartment? In the country or in the city? Things you have to consider. You can purchase a Home Defense shotgun for alot less than $500 bucks. Well, good luck and once again, welcome. J. Parker

You're on the right track. To get the most bang for your buck, shotguns are the way to go. $500 is way more than you need to spend. Two recent purchases of mine:

--Mossberg 500A riot gun, police surplus $150
--H&R Topper 88 single-shot $85

That's a small fraction of what I've wasted on handguns. My advice is to shop around a bit and don't be afraid to look at used shotguns. If treated properly, they get better with age. My 500A seems to be much smoother than brand new models, for example. Mossberg, Winchester or Remington are great for pump actions, but have different locations for safeties and such. I've found that no-frills Mossbergs are more intuitive for me at 3 AM, but others prefer Remingtons or Winchesters. I would shy away from the second rate new shotguns, since you can get really fine used pump actions for much less than the price of a new Chinese knock-off.

Pumps aren't the only game in town, either. I'm actually using a single-shot as my go-to gun right now. After all, against a human intruder one 12 ga shell is more than enough.

The Archives here are deep,OddShot, and have a plethora of info and opinions that should help you.

Police turnin 870s and other shotguns are often dinged up outside and near new inside,oft available for bargain prices.

Its gonna be hard to spend $500 on a 12 gauge pump.

At a gunshow last weekend I saw Winchester 1300's, 18" barrel, 8 shot (i think) for less than $250 new.

I dont think there is a dimes worth of difference in 12 gauge pump shotguns by Winchester, Remington, or Mossberg in terms of functioning or accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back