Good Scope for Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle?

UncleLoodis

Greetings,

I purchased a Ruger Precision Rimfire .22 rifle, and would appreciate suggestions for a good scope & rings combo. Looking for suggestions from people who actually have this rifle and have outfitted it with a scope & rings. I am willing to spend about $700 if necessary.

Thanks much in advance,

Uncle Loodis

I put a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 on my Tikka T1X. Works great, but there are so many other options out there. The Leupold has the Varmint Hunter reticle, with a fine crosshair, and I really like that.

Buy a SWFA 6 or 10 or 12 fixed power. You will be happy with it. Big sale on black Friday. Depends on how you are going to use it.

Last edited:
SWFA 6 or 10 power 

I put the 6X on a 10/22 target model to do some longer range plinking with the .22 lr. I'd probably pick up a set of Burris XTR Tactical rings on the SWFA BF sale as well. It will make for a pretty bullet proof set up for under $450.

You added a zero

Precision_Shooter, small mistake, I said $700, not $7,000 !!! :)

That being said, I'd bet it'd make one heck of a good setup!

Rimfire Scopes Vs. Rifle Scopes

Maybe someone could chime in here. I have been reading and find that there are scopes that are classified as 'rimfire scopes' because they have a factory-set parallax of 50 yards (or thereabouts). I would put a standard rifle scope on my RPR except what I understand from doing some research, the 'rifle' scopes (even though they have an adjustable objective)...the parallax is set for more like...100 yards or more. So I think there would be parallax issues when shooting at say, 50 or 25 yards. This is why I'm asking people that actually have RPR (rimfire) what they are actually using on their setup and how it is working for them. Don't get me wrong--I appreciate the suggestions. I'm looking for a "yeah, I actually have this on my RPR and it's great" or a "I tried this kind of scope and it didn't work" kind of a response.

Thanks much,

UL

We can tell you what scopes work on rimfire, but we can't tell you what you'll like. Why does it have to be mounted on an RPR to be a valid suggestion? The RPR is just a Ruger American Rimfire in a chassis stock, there is nothing special about it when it comes to mounting a scope.

For the money SWFA is a winner. There are supposed to be Black Friday sales this year. Some guys are expecting the fixed powers to go down to $199. I picked up mine during a Labor day sale for $239.

This is mine

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-105767.html?___SID=U

They offer them in fixed 6X, 10X, 12X, 16X, and 20X. You also have the option of MOA adjustment or Mil-quad. I'd advise 12X or lower, the higher magnifications aren't as good. There is also a 3-9X42 priced at $599.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U

But to be honest, I'd shoot the rifle with something I already have before spending big money for a scope on that rifle. In my experience, and based on what I'm reading, they aren't any more accurate than the 10-22. The centerfire RPR's are earning a reputation for very good accuracy. The rimfire, not so much.

UncleLoodis,

I do not own an RPR rimfire or otherwise, but I can tell you I have had good success using a Sightron 3-9x40 with target turrets on my CZ 455. It is not a rimfire scope because I have a 17 her barrel for the rifle and I like shooting at 100 with .22 LR and a bit further with the .17. However, I have used the rifle at ranges of 25 and 50 yards and it performed admirably. One small jagged hole at 50 and at 25 and really sweet sub moa at 100. You just need to look around. Sightron makes a 3-16x42 that looks interesting for an application such as yours. It has adjustable objective, and under $500. Lots of other scopes out there, Leupold, Nikon, Vortex and Athlon all make good reasonably priced scopes for your needs. Happy Thanksgiving!

The number one suggestion I have for a rimfire scope is adjustable parallax. I find I shoot my 22s anywhere from 25 yards to 200 yards. 50 yards and under, lollipops make great reactive targets, 50-100 yards tends to be paper and over 100 yards is usually steel targets.

When I had my Ruger Precision Rimfire, I ran a Weaver T36 Classic on it. A nice scope when shooting for groups.

If you find your RPR isn’t wanting to group, the Green Mountain barrels are worthy upgrades. The factory barrels can be a bit hit or miss unfortunately.

A Leupold 3x9, 40 mm obj, rimfire would fit that rifle just fine. It has a 60 yard parallax and 1/4 inch clicks. Midway USA sells them for 200 $. Even after throwing in a set of Leupold rings, you would still have plenty of money left in your budget to try different brands of match ammunition, and see what the rifle likes best.

Back