Good rifle for the price?

Toecutter

Inactive
I am seriously looking into the Savage Model 10FP - Short Action and Model 110FP - Long Action, can anyone tell me what the difference is between Long and short action? Also what do you guys think of these guns for those of you who have them or have shot them. Do you know of any others in the same price range ($450) that can compete in terms of accuracy and quality?. Im interested in mostly 30-06, .308, and 7mm. Dont care if its bolt action or Semi auto.... one other thing, any comments on the H&K Model 940.. what is the going price for one now days?

Browning A Bolt II is the only way to go! The BOSS system is worth the price difference. Short action is 243 and smaller...long is 25-06 up to 30-06 and long magnum is 7mm on up.
7mm Mag. is now considered to be the best all-around round.

------------------
DCB <><

It really depends on what you want it for. I'm told the new savage short action rifles have adjustable tiggers, so the bad rap that savage has for "heavy" triggers might be a thing of the past.

Don't let ANYONE tell you a savage won't shoot. I've owned 2 , a mid 70's 110B in 30-06 and a 116 weather warrior in 30-06. Both guns will shoot sub moa at 100 yards and I've killed scoree of game over the years with these guns. The best thing about the savage rifles is that you can get a good shooter, and use the REST of the money you saved on good rings and bases.

Good bargains can be found on Remington 700 rifles as well, which has a better trigger out of the box and a similar appearence (black stock blued metal etc)

Look up ANY thread about savage and you'll see there are a LOT of us Savage Fans here.

Dr.Rob

The Savage 10FP has a bolt about .5 inches shorter than that of the 110FP. This makes for a shorter, lighter action. The drawback is that it is limited to shorter calibers, such as .243, .308, and .223. I got to check out a Model 10FP in .308 and it was very nice! With a very good scope, bipod, and little gunsmithing, you can get a very good tactical rifle for well under $1000. I personally intend to buy one very soon and put a good 4-12X variable on it.

It was in one of the latest rifle mags. Sorry ...I did not get it I just thumbed through it...I am going back and find it and will let you know.
I think 30-06 used to have that distinction.?.

------------------
DCB <><

My point (poorly made) was that the "best" anything is pretty subjective at best, and good arguments could be made for any one of several calibers. Just because a magazine says it's so, don't make it so :)

I understand your point and I agree. Just passing on some info. It is a good round though!

------------------
DCB <><

Back