Good results with the Henry today

musicmatty

7 Shot group @ 100 yards from the bench. 4 of the 7 are touching. The scope is a 1 x 4 Bushnell Prime. The ammo is Winchester 30-30 150gr JHP.

It has never been my experience with my lever actions over the last 33 years of just being mediocre for accuracy. I think people who get poor results with lever actions either have a defective firearm… Poor optics or Poor shooting skills.

6d23feb5-1b72-4caa-8c21-74e31f783272.jpeg

27161e65-8189-4cc8-b9d7-a930cb33dd3d.jpeg

dd2caf46-716c-43ea-a4fe-80451cb4d032.jpeg

that should put some meat on the table!

Yes… December of last year I was blessed to harvest two deer with this Henry. All in the spirit of keeping America great. Made in America or not made it all :cool:

Love my Henry’s … watch those screws on the bottom of the gun, forward of the receiver. I’ve had two come loose on me. Always check the screws now after cleaning.

watch those screws on the bottom of the gun, forward of the receiver. I’ve had two come loose on me. Always check the screws now after cleaning.

This is true of any gun especially with the change in humidity going from summer to winter when wood expands and shrinks. Whenever you torque down the screws of the barrel band or the rear butt stock, this can affect the scope. This is exactly why I went out today to recheck the scope. Fortunately, nothing had changed after torquing down everything…I got lucky for once. I recently did this to my model 94 and it dropped everything down about 7 to 8 inches below the bull’s-eye and I had to bring it back up.

ba369c88-bd3c-4526-bc9c-7a4daf422016.jpeg

I think they get a bad rap because of owners reluctance to scope or add better sights due to esthetics. I have had many lever guns with scopes or receiver/peep sights and the accuracy (for me ) was greatly improved.
Add to this, how low light, shadows, twigs/branches that are not seen with the naked eye can add significant difficulty in getting a well placed shot.
Funny how a Contender in 30-30 is considered by some to be a 200 yd gun but a M94 or 336 is somehow only good for 100yds.:confused: I think the difference is most 30-30 TC's used for hunting have scopes on them. Maybe not......
Great shooting by the way! I had :(a scoped Marlin 444 that would hang with a lot of bolt rifles at 100 yds. I also have :) an old 39M with a Williams receiver sight that I would put up against any other 22 over some sand bags.;)

Excellent group - wow! In the endless sea of tacti-cool rifles that most of us run, that lever is a beautiful breath of fresh air.....

Looks like a nice day to be out shooting, I am jealous!!

Excellent group - wow! In the endless sea of tacti-cool rifles that most of us run, that lever is a beautiful breath of fresh air.....

Thank you! Truth be known, both of my scoped lever guns won’t be seeing much action because I just don’t do much deer hunting any longer. I have developed a soft spot for animals over the years. I do think it’s important to know how to harvest an animal for food if you ever had to.

These days it’s mostly my 1969 commemorative model 94 with Buckhorn sights at 50 yards for target shooting. I work hard at trying to develop myself at being proficient Within 50 yards using open sights for kicks and giggles. I recently purchased a Henry 410 (6 + 1) lever action as a utility all in one firearm. It’s nice to be able to shoot birdshot for sporting clays… 000 odd buck for defense and slugs for target shooting within 50 yards… all without punishing recoil.

Here is a 12 shot group standing at 50 yards with open sights. 8 of the 12 shots are touching. This is with stock Buckhorn sights. I have always preferred the Buckhorns over peep sights.

69d8660e-fd6c-46d3-bce7-a251f0535e2e.jpeg

The Henry 410 lever action is ultra nice in my opinion.

142b11c3-1d20-4335-a1d6-2daf3dc9ec36.jpeg

Last edited:
Back