Good references for design standards?

Ruger guy

Are there any good references for design standards in firearms? Things like barrel thicknesses, chamber sizes, various clearances, material thickness between cylinder bores for various materials and cartridges, material requirements, etc.

Sort of like the machinery's handbook is for machinists.

Also, is there a good source for detailed explanation in the concept of various operating concepts of different firearms?

Any standard source for design standards?

Also, what is the best source for information on end mills, etc. for machining
cylinder bores, chambers. Reamers? Other specialized tools, new or used?

In other words, where's all the secret information? It seems like it's difficult to find. Not exactly like building a small block chevy. :)

RG, there none. Or I guess I should say there isn't ONE. SAAMI may have some of the stuff you're looking for. You will find bits and pieces of the information you want located in different books. By the time you have enough to answer all your questions you'll have quite a library. I have a real weakness for gunsmithing books. Most will be a repeat of the others but I've found that in each you will always come across a piece of information or a way of doing it that wasn't in the others. I really don't know any other place to get the info. George

About the only help I could give is about dealing with pressure: Marks' Mechanical Engineering Handbook and one of the handbooks (there are many) of the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) will show formulas for calculating the thickness of a tube as a function of the pressure inside. The thickness will vary with the tensile strength of the steel, of course.

FWIW, Art

Back