Good Premium Ammo and Blasting Ammo Combo for .300 BLK

One complaint I have with .300 BLK is the difficulty in finding cheap blasting ammo with a similar trajectory to the premium hunting ammo I actually use. As a result, I end up either shooting expensive ammo for practice or end up using a round with a significantly different trajectory.

Even in the subsonic range where everything flies like a brick, the difference between a cheap, flatbase 220gr and a 220gr SMK can be enough to miss the plate at 200yds+.

Anyone have any affordable blasting ammo/premium ammo combinations with similar ballistics?

What are you using the premium ammo for? IMO at the speeds a .300 BLK produces there isn't a need for premium bullets. Hornady markets there V-Max 110 grain ammo for hunting in the .300 BLK as suitable for deer sized game. Plus if you're hunting suppressed why won't the 220 grain flat base bullet work just as well as the SMK?

Last edited:
Hornady 110gr VMAX is $1 a round or more retail. That's $30 for a single magazine. You can pick up a 123gr FMJ from Magtech for $0.54 per round for blasting ammo; but different ballistics.

And subsonics it is even worse as ammo that expands at subsonic velocity for .300 is insanely expensive and has different ballistics than most of the subsonic blasting ammo (if you can call a 220gr SMK "blasting ammo"). The trajectory difference is less pronounced compared to supersonics though because subs all have brick-like characterisics that usually limit their practical use to around 50yds anyway.

All I can say is internet is your friend especially with all the ammunition search engines out there. In a short amount of time I was able to find remanufactured ammunition loaded with 110 V-Max for 57 cents, 208 A-Max for 63 cents, and 220 SMK for 50 cents. I found several other bullet types as well for well under a buck a round before shipping, so I'm sure if you try some you'll find something close to what you shoot now.

I know some people don't like remanufactured ammo, but I've had pretty decent results in .223/5.56. I haven't shot up all the Remington 120 and 220 grain ammunition I got with my rifle, but I'll probably try some reman and I'm set up to reload as well. However, my rifle is a Ruger Ranch so I'll only blow through five rounds a magazine at a time and my rate of fire is much lower.

Back