good practice ammo for 642?

dixiejon

Inactive
I just purchased a new S&W 642 38 special +p and also bought 2 boxes of Federal 125 gr HP nyclads (non +p) to try out with it but I would like to know what would be the best round to practice with ? Is there anything that duplicates the Federal nyclad round? Also the pistol came stock with boot grips and they feel pretty good in my hand but have seen the eagle secret service grips and they look good also. I would like to know everyone's experience with the two or any other grips that work well with j frames.

The 130gr ball from UMC(for one) may duplicate the POA/POI of your Nyclad load. It's also great at blowing out the leading from left in the bore from the above-listed sources.:D

Speer recently discontinued their Lawman 125gr JHP .38 spl load and it is wonderful practice ammo. It is not marked +p, and the recoil and blast are pretty mild, but it is very accurate out of several of my guns and it is cheap! I have bought a bunch of it for $6.50 for 50 rounds mail order.

USA or Fiochi (spl?) 130 gr ball should work well too. I have had mixed luck with UMC 38 ball in the past and no longer shoot it.

I have used a LOT of Federal American Eagle 130 grain FMJ in .38 Special for practice in my four .357 magnum revolvers. Ammoman sells the stuff -- no extra charges and no shipping fees -- for $159 for 1000 rounds (20 boxes).

Back