Good places to hunt coyotes in N. Florida

Smart0036

Inactive
Hey all, I was thinking of getting into coyote hunting, and I was wondering if anyone knew any good public areas to hunt in North Central Florida?

I don't know many public places but check with local ranches/farmers in the are you want to hunt. There used to be bulletin boards in some of the Tractor Supply stores and sometimes farmers would post looking for someone to take Coyotes or hogs off their land. Worth a try. You could post up that you're looking to do coyote hunting.

While there are certainly coyotes in the national forest, hunting them there might be a bit of a challenge. Hunting coyotes efficiently normally requires a relatively open area. You call them in and shoot from a distance to avoid giving them a chance to see you or catch your scent. The Appalachee Ntl forest is pretty dense so the coyote stands a good chance of winding or seeing you before you get a chance to get off a shot.

Coyotes here in the mesquite jungle love to travel by trail. You maybe able to get a view down a trail if the wind is in your favor.
I still have some clearings maybe 50 to 100yds across that I try to coax them in to.

Smart0036, while I wouldn't want to discourage you from trying the national forest, I think you'd have a better chance if you could get on a nice farmer's field in an area known to have coyotes.

Ideally, you would have your choice of several fields with different wind options (i.e. you want to set up so that the wind will not be blowing your scent towards any direction you expect the coyotes to come from).

On the farm it seems that comings and goings don't spook them so bad. You can sometimes have out buildings and other structures behind you to limit their approach.

I have better luck when the wind allows me to limit thier approach in that way.

Back