Good Pistol books.

Sawyer.N

I hope this post is in the appropriate forum. If not, tell me and I'll move it or move it yourself!

Anyhow, I have been searching for a book to help me learn how to shoot faster without sacrificing accuracy. I am interested to find a read by a reputable shooter that covers things like speed and accuracy, recoil control, one handed shooting (competition), and some other general defensive stuff like point shooting from body index positions.

I have poked around and I am a bit nervous to buy one without some input because there is a ton of BS information that is not helpful out in the world of pistols.

What do you recommend as a good read for intermediate defensive techniques? (Not basic intro to fundamentals please) And why do you like the author?

If you want a zen experience, try Brian Enos' book Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals.
It's a bit too deep for me, but a Master-class buddy read it multiple times, understanding better each time.
A book that I re-read recently was Tale of Two Guns, by Tiger McKee. It's specifically about the 1911 and AR, but there's a lot of philosophical stuff that is not gun-dependent.
Principles of Personal Defense, by Jeff Cooper, is also more about mindset and tactics than hardware, but it's a slim book that's a quick and easy read.
Modern Technique of the Pistol, by Morrison, is a bit dated, as the "modern" technique (Cooper, et al.) was codified in the '60s-'70s, but there's some good stuff.

Massad Ayoob's...book " combat Handgunnery " ....covers all of those topics/ it's a gun digest book that is a very good resource.

I like Brian Enos's book ..but its way too Zen unless you have a lot of experience...and even at that, I tend to ignore a lot of it ...and refer only to small sections on grip, etc...

J. Michael Plaxco's book "Shooting From Within"...is also a solid book on fundamentals and easy to digest...

Last edited:
As Rick sez, Brian Enos' book is just about the standard.
But don't discount video instructions.
Quite often a video from a knowledgeable shooter is even better.
Check out those from reliable sources, like Mike Seeklander, Jerry Miculek, Todd Jarret, Max Michel, Tiger Mckee, Clint Smith, and the likes.
There's plenty on Youtube and in depth versions from the above named sources.

I like Charlie Askins' books. A bit dated in some aspects, his reputation is somewhat-?-questionable, on the other hand he was a genuine pistol champion and in reading his accounts you will really see what the combat mindset is.

Two classics. Both are years old, but cover the basics very well.

No Second Place Winner, by Bill Jordan.

Fast and Fancy Pistol Shooting by Chic Gaylord.

Back