Good Parka?

MW740

Can anyone suggest a decent parka for a reasonable price. I'm looking for something that is waterproof, with a hood, that can be used as an outside layer in the fall/winter. If it is available in subdued colors such as brown or olive that would be a plus.

Not sure what you consider a reasonable price, but I have never regretted my Columbia Sportswear coat. It is a two piece job - a windbreaker zipped into a kneelength coat, detachable hood, gamebag. Available in a lot of colors and camo patterns at around $250+. Cabela's has several pages of'em, as do many other paper and online catalogues.

Check LL Bean, too.

I got a subdued tan/brown "Rough-something-or-other" parka (did I mention I live in Vermont?) for under $90; nice and warm and pockets and hood and water-resistant and guaranteed for life.

Another vote for LL Bean, especially if you can find what your looking for in their specials and closeouts. I found a nice one, Gore-Tex to boot, for under $100.
Take Care

Ahh, my area of expertise.

Without attempting to give an answer or a direction. Couple of questions:

* What do you plan on doing with the jacket 80% of the time? In otherwords whats the primary use and then other uses? Hunting, ballgames, skiing, ice-fishing, keeping you covered from the doorway to through the parking lot.

* How much are you willing to pay or budget towards it?

* Weather conditions it'll be used in?

I won't be able to give you specific items, since clothing is subjective however, I can point you in an area to look at and things to consider.

Back