Good multiple handgun case?

MatthewVanitas

I've gotten together a small set of pistols, and want to acquire one good quality pistol case to replace my current motley collection of plastic Ruger cases, cashboxes/tackleboxes, etc.

I'm looking for a good-quality one-time purchase. I'm looking for the following features:

-Good locking/security options
-Can be secured to a heavy item of furniture or floor-bolt when at home
-Meets airline standards for checked luggage firearms
-Securely holds, say, four or five average handguns
-Case interior won't adhere to or mar finish (once had a cheapo case where the foam had disintegrated and created a huge mess all over the inside of the case)

I believe I've heard folks reccommend "Bear-Trac" (not sure on spelling) but have not been able to find it in the archives here. Thanks for your time.

Zero Haliburton cases are good. Browning was marketing them through last year but discontinued their arrangement. You can still purchase them as the Series 100 camera cases, however.

They aren't cheap, but will last your lifetime and your survivors lifetime as well.

http://www.zerohalliburton.com/

Someone beat me to the camera option, very nice cases since camera stuff is expensive and also far more susceptable to banging than I would think handguns would be.

My first case was simply a cheap leather briefcase from wally world, office supply, or something along those lines. You can leave the top stuff for holding papers in if you wish.

Then go buy some quality foam, I need some more as a used gun I bought came with a soso quality chinese made aluminum case. The lock in it sucks. But does work, so oh well.

A search on how to cut foam will turn up how to do it, and you can form fit your stuff any way you wish. Camera places should have foam as well. I was going to look around home depot or something tomorrow as I want some huge pieces, like the size those yellow foam mattress pads are, but I want anything not yellow.

I have no clue on your airline regulations, and your bolt down concept is up to you since most cases show you running a chain through the handle, but the handle is normally not reinforced really well in my opinion.

The aluminum cases rock, but get a really good one as I am thinking about redoing the lock on the one I got, luckily I consider it almost free so oh well.

I got the leather case since most people never give it a 2nd look.

I fly with Haliburton. Especially when covered with a suitcase, they are safe from the "throwers."

Good things cost money, but you can beat on them with a framing hammer and nothing happens.:)

For the money, you'd be hard-pressed to beat a Pelican Case. They're nearly indestructable, have good high-quality foam inserts, fixed hasps for padlocks, pressure-release valves, and lots of different sizes/shapes. A 1550 case will hold upwards of a dozen handguns, and costs around $175.

- Chris

I second the vote for Pelican cases. I have 3, which I bought in camera discount stores. They are 1/4 inch thick tough plastic outside with padlock capability, and lined with foam inside. They seem indestructible to me, and come in various colors. Here is one in yellow, but mine are black and gray.

pelican_case.jpg

All in favor of Pelican cases say Aye...

AYE!

I have a model #1490 with all foam myself, fits 3 to 4 guns depending on size.

SKB makes...

...a line of gun cases now that are for all the world a "poor man's Pelican". A watertight, airtight, 4-gun case, built like a tank, and they retail for right around $40-$50.

Back