Good low price rifles

MrBlonde

What are some good rifles to look for used at a good price, whats a good price for used rifles. Semi-Auto? How about those
Mauser 98's, I have seen 'em at BIG5 for pretty cheap, whats a good price for those, what about a Mosin Nagant?

[This message has been edited by MrBlonde (edited May 23, 2000).]

Cheap but good, Enfield MKIII Ishipore .308. Common caliber, good all around beater gun. Got mine for less than $100 including shipping, tax, and NICS.

This depends on what you consider cheap.
Semi auto; The SKS is a good little
rifle. Try to stick with the Russian
models. SKS prices run from about $150 to
$250. The AK47 varients (Egyptian,
Romanian, etc) that use single stack, low
capacity magazines are decent rifles and
can be had for about $200. (most of them
can be converted to take the hicap mags)

It's hard to go wrong with a mauser. It's
good if you can handpick the one you want
because some of them can be pretty rough.
I have a VZ24 that I bought years ago for
$150 and it is beautiful!

The Mosin Nagant is a very good rifle. It has actually been proven to be a stronger action than the mauser. Most of them are
quite accurate. I personally don't care
for the safety ( a knob at the rear of the bolt) or the sights or the positioning of the bolt handle. I bought a 91/59 (basically an M44 without the bayonet) at a gun show for $65. It looked brand new. It shoots pretty well. (2moa with surplus ammo) Can't beat it for the price.

Any of the Enfields are great rifles. Again, handpicking is preferred.

Don't overlook used 30/30 lever actions. The gun stores around here always have a good supply of both Winchesters and Marlins. I looked at a used 94 Winchester yesterday that was going for $140. It was a little ugly on the outside but internally it was in great shape.

Back