Good, low cost over and under?

Dave3006

I would like to get a good, low cost over and under shotgun in 12 gauge. Can anyone recommend a specific brand or model. I was kind of surprized on how expensive they can be.

Dave

Without knowing what you consider low cost, or the intended use for the gun, the best value for the money is probably in a used Beretta 686/687 or Browning Citori.

If you live near a Trap and Skeet or Sporting Clays course check out the bulletin boards for people selling used guns. Often you can find a real gem that someone is selling to upgrade to a better gun. The last place to look is in your local gun shop, they always charge more and have to pay bills.

I purchased the first two O/U's I owned in a gun shop and paid too much. I learned my lesson and buy through specialty shops or at the range.

Try to shoot a few different guns before you buy, find out which gun feels best to you.

O/U's become addictive, you can't have just one:)

Geoff Ross

Depends on what you consider "low cost" If they fit your budget, I suggest a used Citori.
There are some really low cost imports through EAA, et al, that you can get new, but as always, you get what you pay for.

Zane

checkout www.eaacorp.com they import the Bikal from Russia. I have heard good things about the current production models and am condsidering getting on of there 20 ga sxs in the future. Also check out the Traditions web site. they are now importing an ou from Turkey. I think this used to be the IGA gun but am not 100% on that.

I'd also recommend a used Citori. But I'm not selling mine!

Best thing about O/U's: At the skeet and trap ranges I go to, I 'm one of the few people that shoots them. I'm also one of the few who has yet to have nothing happen when I squeeze the trigger twice on a double!!

Bowser.

When it comes to O/Us,good and low cost rarely occur together.

In a recent article, Shotgun Sports Magazine mentions the reason they review few doubles of either kind costing around $1K is "Few are worthy of notice",IIRC.

You might refer back to a post I made last month about Baikal shotguns.

Best advice I can give is to save up for a used Browning, Winchester 101,SKB, or Berreta.....

I'm glad I seen this post.I have been wanting a nice shotgun for some time.I got a catalog from Benelli today.I sure like the Montfeltro but the husband says I'm crazy because of the price.
Included with the Benelli catalog is a catalog from Stoeger Industries.
They offer two o/u shotguns the Condor @ $390 and Condor Supreme Deluxe @ $490.
I'm looking for any opinions or experiences anyone has had with these shotguns.

I have a baikal 12ga o/u that I paid around $350.00 for. I have put over 500 rnds through it and it is still nice and tight. I would buy another one.

No one has mentioned a Ruger Red Label. I have one and so does my brother and several of our friends. It is great quality for the money. We have had no problems with any of these guns.
When it comes to the Baikal or the Stoeger, I would go with the Baikal.
Jim

Back