Good long range scope for 30-06

Big-O-2

OK,

I have tried to search the old post for an answer to the age old story which scope is best for me. I need a good scope ($150.00 max) for shooting targets at mostly 100 - 300 yards, But I want to try to shoot the 1000 yrd one day. If I need to spend more then $150 then I guess I will not shoot the gun anymore. I am hand loading and my 30-30 loads hit almost alway at 100 yrds in 2" - 3" groups using a 4x scope. my hand loads for the 30-06 where doing 2" @ 100 yrd till my scope went south this weekend. I have a 3-9 x 32 for my 22lr and I can hold 2" - 3" at 100 yrds. My shooting is ok for me. But I want to try my hand at the 200 - 300 yrd targets, working my way up too the long stuff. I need some advise I have seen alot of $100 scopes of every power out there. I am thinking 24x or 32x variable, so I can shoot game as well.

Any advise for the poor boy scope that can do the job?

David

Reality...

Big O2--I hate to rain on yr parade, but there is an old saying: High performance, sturdy, low price. You might get yr choice of any 2. You will NOT get all 3.

For beyond, say, 300 yd, you will be spending multiples of your $150 limit for a decent 'scope.

Serious 1000-yd target competitors think nothing of putting a couple of grand into a 'scope.

I have had VERY poor results with BSA optics and will never recommend them to anyone, ever.

BTW, you don't say what rifle you're using. For 300 yd casual shooting, an ordinary hunting rifle is OK. If you get serious about yr shooting, or want to compete, or go much longer than that, you're going to be dropping some major coin for the rifle you will use, as well as a costly 'scope. As well as getting really good at rolling yr own handloads.

If I'm wrong abt yr intentions, and all you want to do is some occasional, casual, long-range plinking, well, have at it. In which case, whatever you can snap up at Wally World will do fine.

I don't think this is the answer you wanted. Sorry.

ETA: Here's a couple of links; check out the prices. Sinclair International: www.sinclairintl.com Creedmoor Sports: www.creedmoorsports.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer Smokey Joe, The title tells my Gun 30-06 is the round I have to shoot. I have had it for only a short time it is my passed grandfathers hunting rifle. I took it out to the range about 4 month ago and the gun hit paper what I would say very well at 100 yrds. It had a simple but effective 4x scope that the quality has gotten to the point now I would say is bad. Very cloudy from age and brown spots in the scope not on the out side in the optics. I am a member of a private range and mainly for pistol shooting. I tried my hand at shooting the high power rifle and like it alot. I just want to shoot it for fun at the ranges 200 and 300 yrd range to see if I like it. But the best scope I own right now is my 22lr scope 3x9x32. I really would not think of shooting the 30-06 in competition. But alot of members told me to try it and if I like it, to just use the gun till I can afford a better rifle. Personally I think I can hit the target and maybe group 1' at 200 or 300 yrds with the gun. But this would not win a match. I am looking for fun right now and need an economy scope to see if it is for me.

Thanks for your comments, sorry if my post was misleading.

Back