Good lead bullets for 9mm and 45 ACP

HAMMER1DOWN

Hey ya'll, I am getting ready for an upcoming year of 3 gun and practice and want to try out lead bullets.
Can ya'll point me in the right direction as to which company is "better" and what BHN I would want? All of my shooting for the 9mm is out of a Springfield XD and the .45 is out of a Springfield XDM and 1911's.

Thanks,
Hammer

just make sure you get a LRN and not a SWC for those particular guns. They don't like them. If you are just doing target then you don't need a very hard bullet. I can't recommend a maker as I cast my own

THere are several good commercial kers. The first that comes to mind is Missouri, then Montana, but then there is also Berry's and a couple of others. These are the ones I see the most.

I have only purchased and used a few from Oregon Trial, Montana, and Cast Performance and I did pick some up from Missouri, but I haven't used any of them yet.

Just be sure to slug your bores before ordering and you will know what size to get. You want at least .001-.002 over bore in order to keep the leading down. Depending on your velocity, under 1000fps you can get away with pretty much anything, over that you need to stick with something in the 12 BHN and up to around 18 at the hardest.

Lymans 452374 is an awesome LRN for the 45.
I would agree with this 100%. It is the only cast bullet I shoot in my 45's.
They cast real easy, Lube real easy, Load real easy, Shoot great.
Whats not to like?
These shoot good in the Hi-Point 45 acp carbine too.

I just sold my 2 cavity of this mold and upgraded to the 4 cavity to feed the carbine.
I also have shot the HP version of this bullet. It is absolutely devastating to any thing you hit.
Best part is they lube, load and shoot just like the rn version. Nothing needs to change.

If interested there is a group buy for this style mold on CastBullets.
I jumped in for a HP version.

He's not looking to cast, just buy some.

It's been my experience you need .002 over bore size for 9mm, otherwise they lead the barrel and keyhole. In other words you'd probably be fine with a 357-358 size. Don't get anything in 355.

45's are more forgiving so a standard 452 LRN would work.

D'oh!!! Ok forgot people still buy those things.
I have a list of good links at home. I will post it when I get a chance.
Just try to stay away from the hard cast pistol bullets. Most sellers sell the hard cast to make shipping easier. Usually like 23BN or some ungodly hard mix.
Thats not what shoots the best. Even in my magnum loads the softer alloys with a gas check shoot better. Try to get the ones in the 12 to 15 bn range.
I will post the links tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hardness should take a back seat to proper fit. Being they should be over sized at least one thousandth of an inch. If they are too small your barrel will have lead following the rifling from the chamber to the crown regardless of how hard they are.

Find a company that cast round nose of the weight you want and the proper size. Shoot them till they are gone, then order more.

Back