Good gun for IPSC?

Lycanthrope

What is a good entry level gun for IPSC shooting that goes for under $1000?

I like the Kimber single action autos and I was looking at a Para Ordnance P14..........

I've never tried IPSC......is there a big advantage to having a high capacity magazine? What's a good caliber?

GOOD GUNS INCLUDE:

1) the one you bring.

I compete using Ruger 4" GP100 357 Mag, 5.5" Redhawks in 41 and 44 Mag, EAA Witnesses in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 41AE, and 45ACP.
You may also find me using a 1911 in 45ACP drawn from an IWB holster, stuffed with 8-rd magazines.

You can use any gun over 38 Special / 9x19, and you will compete in a class with shooters of similar skills and similar guns.

And it is, without question, really really fun. You will also learn improved gun-handling and safety skills.

www.uspsa.org (USPSA Home Page -- use 'club-finder')

www.macten.net/ipsc/gmps.html (GMPS - my home club page)

http://home.adelphia.net/~eboadway/ipsc.htm (GMPS clubmember picture/results page)

Lycanthrope, WESHOOT2 is right that you should shoot a couple matches before you buy anything. You may not like it. You may think it's the greatest thing in the world.

Past that, high capacity magazines are an advantage in Open and Limited divisions. In the Limited 10 or Production divisions there is a 10 round capacity limit and high cap mags are potentially a liability and that getting caught with one loaded with more than 10 rounds moves you to Open division.

Having owned several Paras and Kimbers, my recommendation would be to get a Kimber single stack and shoot Limited 10. It's been my experience and the experience of another 6-8 members of my club that Paras do not hold up under IPSC type usage. Without exception, just about every one of us has replaced half the gun by 10,000 rounds and everything but the frame, slide, and barrel by 20K. Kimbers also have some parts susceptible to breakage but generally not the the extent that Paras do.

A more expensive choice for Limited 10 would be an STI Trojan (http://www.stiguns.com) which is their 1911 single stack. I have one and the fit, finish, and overall quality is far above anything Kimber or Para makes. It is easily the best 1911 under $1000. I recommend Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection (http://www.shootersconnection.com) for STI products and IPSC merchandise in general. Chuck is a USPSA Grand Master in Limited and knows his stuff. He only sells good products and he stands behind them. I've been dealing with him for several years now and am completely satisfied.

Another good option for beginners is Production division. In addition to not needing high cap mags, you can also avoid the expense of race holsters and other expensive gear and can shoot inexpensive 9mm ammo as Production is minor power factor only. If you can shoot Glocks, the Glock 34 is a great choice for this division as is some of the Beretta models.

I would use whatever you have now. For lim 10 I agree with the kimber and SA pistols. If you shoot prod I would go with the Glock or a Sig. I personally use the Glocks. If you shoot Prod I would go with a 9 mm to start. Everything is scored minor anyway. I use the 40 so I can shoot limited when I want and make major.

good luck and enjoy shooting.

mike4045

Thanks guys. That clears a lot up for me.

Maybe I'll wait for the incom tax refund and get the STI Executive. THAT is one beautiful handgun.

imo you can't go wrong with a glock 35 it's good for production and limited 10, and if you find so hi-caps it'll play just fine in limited class. I've also found used ones for 500 or less under 600 for new the are guns that just plain work!!:D

I don't shoot IPSC yet, or IDPA, but I try to follow them a little bit here locally, and I do know a good number of competition shooters, as well as all the stuff I've read in this forum and others. What I have seen is that the opinions of the respected shooters in all those areas all seem to say the same thing. The most respected ones don't even seem to suggest a brand name. If you ask them specifics, they will give you specific answers though. What does seem to be consistant throughout their opinions is that they all will "tune" their pistols to their liking, and their biggest concern is a great base gun. Replacing or modifying particular parts is a given for these seasoned competition shooters. Solid frame, barrel, and slide are the top priority. When I think about it, maybe the best way to decide is to look in the hands of the guys who are winning all the prizes, and see what they're holding.

THEY'RE HOLDING BIG BUCKS

Caspian, STI, SV, Para base guns, all tweaked by someone.

You can search the USPSA site for used bargain guns............

I think that the Para P-16-40 Limited would serve well for several years. One of the Dawson models at $999 as mentioned would be a good deal. Even the off the shelf gun form your local gun shop will work well and do double duty for IDPA in ESP class.

The gentleman that suggested a single stack has a good point, too, you will save several hundred dollars on mags.

Go shoot a few matches bfore you buy anything. After shooting for a while you will find out who are the good gunsmiths in your area. Then you can try their guns and see what you like.

Back