good group size marlin 1894 .357mag

TheBear

Marlin 1894 .357mag owners:

What do you consider a good group size (shooting from a bench) at 25, 50, 100 yards? What kind of ammo do you use? Which sights?

That's hard to answer. The Marlin 1894 is a lever rifle that doesn't lend itself to bench use. Bone stock, out of the box, the little rifle has sights that are best suited to plinking. Adding a receiver sight adds precious inches to the sight radius and makes fine accuracy easier to attain, but the rifle is best used off the bench.

However, my 1894 is generally a 3" rifle at 100 yards. It might be better, but is limited by the nut behind the stock. It will easily shoot into the area covered by the front sight.

The Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum is a wonderfully light, easily carried woods rifle. It makes an amazing companion to a .357 magnum revolver. Lots of deer and hogs have fallen to the little rifle. The big thing that most people don't understand is that the .357 magnum become a whole 'nuther cartridge when shot out of a carbine barrel. We normally see an extra 300-400 fps from the carbine barrel due simply to the longer length of the barrel. My favorite 180 grain load leaves the barrel of my revolver at 1200 fps, but jumps to 1600 fps out of my Marlin.

Not planing on shooting this rifle from a bench a lot but i need to know what i can consider a good group size so i can find the best ammo for the it.
@MarkDozier:
1-2 inches at 100 yards? Never thougt that rifle could be so accurate!

Why not? The sights are not the best for accurate work but if you mount a scope it's still a solid Marlin built rifle with a very stable round in chamber. That isn't some 55 grain boat-tail it's spitting out the tube :D

Just got my hands on a Winchester 94AE in .357, I am having fun with the acurate factory sights that are on it, but I am looking for a peep sight to see if I can get better at 100 yards.

i almost bought one in 357 but got the 44 mag instead i was really suprized when i got 3/4 inch groups at 100yards with winchester white box 240grn jsp with a 3-9 vx2 on top. these rifles are insanely accurate for a levergun. its a shame they put the buckhorn sights on it rather than a apature. alot of potential in these rifles.

My standard for acceptability for iron sights at 100 yards is 5 on a standard sized Post-It note. My Marlin has a Lyman peep and will consistently meet this requirement from the bench with Nosler 158's or Sierra 125's (although with different settings). Cast is not so good. I put a scope on it once and it would shoot a little tighter but the scope did not look right on the little carbine.

My standard for acceptability for iron sights at 100 yards is 5 on a standard sized Post-It note.

That's some fine shooting in my book!

They are a 2.5" square. An orange or purple one stands out nicely on a white background. That is about as good as I can see.

Back