GOOD DURABLE PLINKING RIFLE

...or a Marlin. :) Either way, you will not be disappointed. Ruger has a better availability of aftermarket goodies.

Hueco

I've had my 10/22 for about 4 years now. No problems, except occasionl jams. This rifle is sweet! I shoot more rounds through it than any of my other guns. Cheap, chep, cheap!

Ruger 10/22 is a good .22 rifle. I have a 10/22 international, which has had about 1000 rounds through it, and it has jammed once on a batch of dirty ammo. Another reason to buy one is the company's customer policy: we are always correct. I have a Mark I also that is older than I am and they sent me a new spring and firing pin free of charge. Also I lost the muzzle cap off the stock of the 10/22, which is a $20 part through Brownell, and they did not ask any questions other than where to send the free parts. I am looking at a target pistol and Ruger is at the top due to these reasons.

The Ruger is good, no doubt about it. But for my money you just can't beat a Marlin. They come in just about any action type you could want, choice of tube or magazine feed and are some of the most accurate box stock rifles you will find anywhere. All that and inexpensive to boot.

------------------
Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!

I looked at the first line saw "plinking …22…semiauto" said if the 10/22 isn't mentions at least 5 times I'm gonna be pissed. I picked mine up for 200 in a package which included the gun, a scope and 500rd.s of CCI Blazer during a sale. I love it. It is so fun to shoot. Cheap to shoot doesn't even begin to describe it. I can't bye a full tank of Gas in San Jose for what it cost to shoot my 10/22 all day. (of course I drive a 93 T-Bird which has a 19 gallon tank)

I see that everyone is recommending either Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60. I own one of each--the Ruger is about 3 years old and the Marlin 60 about 14 years old, so take this with a grain of salt. Its only one guy's experience.

The Marlin has a nicer trigger out of the box. I paid for a trigger job on the Ruger, even after I tested 6 in the store and got the best of those 6. Of course, these days all triggers are set by lawyers, so there may be no advantage. The Marlin is more accurate. In fact, it is very accurate. The Ruger is acceptable. The Marlin will shoot dime-sized groups at 25 yds. The Ruger is more like a quarter.

The Marlin jams more. The Ruger has never jammed. If I clean the Marlin every 100 rounds, it is pretty reliable. But somewhere between 100 and 150 rounds, it starts jamming pretty frequently. And that's with clean ammo--I've tried plenty. The Ruger is much easier to disassemble and clean. The Marlin fits me better--I've got longer arms.

So for hunting, I choose the Marlin. For kids/plinking, I use either.

I can only add one more choice to the bunch. I have a Remington 597 in .22 lr and it is more accurate than my 10/22 was, and has good ergonomics for me. It has some really nice features, like a bolt recoil buffer, and easy takedown.
Don't get me wrong, the 10/22 and Marlin 60 are wonderful, inexpensive .22's, but I only paid $139.00 for my Remington and am more than satisfied.

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"

This may be hearsey, especially from me, since I am a major Ruger fan, but Thompson/Center is set to release a .22 LR called the 22 Classic.

The gun is in their new catalog and should be shipping in May according to what I have read.

This gun is all steel with no aluminum... This to me is a plus.

Well happy hunting.

Judge Blackhawk

another vote for the 10/22. Excellent, low cost plinker. A huge plus for the 10/22 is the aftermarket accessories available for it + the gunsmiths who specialize in customizing it, if you ever wanted to go that route.

For me, the ultimate plinking rifle will be a TC Contender carbine in 22LR. I like the versatility of adding barrels in other calibers and I don't know of much that could go wrong with a single shot. Of course a lot of bloodthirsty people out there aren't satisfied with simply killing tin cans (or whatever else they plink at)... they want to VENTILATE them ;)

Keith

Back