Good deal?

rocky.223

A friend of mine decided to get rid of a few guns for some extra cash and I offered $250 for this Marlin 336 lever gun in 30-30. He allowed me to take the rifle out before I bought it and I am very pleased. It's an older rifle but in good condition. Action is smooth and stock has some dings but nothing major, bluing looks to be about 75%. I like the deal but would really like to know more about the rifle. It appears to be about a 1960 or 1970's model but I don't know for sure and neither does my friend. It has only one serial # stamped on the tang behind the hammer and came with an equally aged Tasco 3-9x40mm scope which has surprisingly good glass and clarity. How would I find out more about this rifle, i.e. actual production date and an approximate value?

Any 336 in decent shape is worth that. Do a Marlin serial number search and it will come right up. The first letter indicates the year.

If the SN has no letter prefix, just subtract the first two digits from 100 to determine the year of manufacture.

If your rifle has a 20" bbl with full-length magazine & PG stock, it's a Model 336RC (Regular Carbine),
a 20" bbl with 2/3-length mag & PG stock is a Model 336SC (Sporting Carbine),
and a 18" or 20" barreled specimen with a straight stock is a Model 336T (Texan).

Rarer, is the 16" bbl'd, straight stocked M336 Maurader.

That's the last year of the pre-safety. You scored a great deal. I'd recommend taking the glass off of it and put on a skinner peep. I find scopes change the handling characteristics. Peep sights are good for 150 yards or so. That gun is made for medium range brush hunting. A scope will slow you down, I have found.

Back