good deal on a Remington BDL?

CrossIL

I have the opportunity to buy a Remington B D L in 30-06. The rifle had been shot<50 times and includes leather sling 30 rounds of Federal Premium, and a rear aperture sight. He's asking $500 , but because it's the Christmas season and I wasn't really planning on making a purchase right now I was going to offer less

What cha think?

If you're sure about the low round count, sounds like a good price. Just be sure he didn't fool with the trigger, and have a good look at the bore.

JMO, rifles don't have odometers (or shotometers ;) ), and so "shot count" is only seller's gas, since nobody knows for sure.

I would suggest you buy on remaining original "condition", and desireability (not only yours).

I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a used 700BDL, but YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
My thoughts as well. Round count don't mean squat. $400 , $450 max. Then it is a question of want or need which will dictate your price.

Usually '06 sporters haven't been shot much. I would be more concerned if it was in a varmint caliber which I have dealt with over the years. Do you know about when it was produced? Back in the 60's they had pressed checkering which I deplore, but later models had cut checkering. Since suggested retail price is over 900.00 for a new one, and if it is in very nice condition??, I'd say it's a good deal.

From a LGS I trust and that gives good prices they have a BDL @ $700 and an ADL @ $450, so I'd say that's a good price.

Book value is probably pretty close to that, but you're paying for a stick of wood. Lots of brand new guns out there now selling for $400-$500 that will likely outperform this one.

I wouldn't do it.

Almost every $300-$400 (new) 2012 econo-rifle has a plastic/fantastic stock; the M700BDL wasn't so issued.

ANY decent conditin BDL 700 for under 600 in NE is a steal, given the msrp. they hold their resale, look sweet and shoot exc. for a stick of wood.

I generally find a stick of wood to be a bit more attractive than a stick of plastic, excuse me, "polymer." I would like someone to provide me with a list of rifles of .30-06 flavor that will outperform a Remington Model 700. And while you are at it, publish the photos and measurements of five, five-shot groups fired with one of the five, compared with a like number with a 700.

I generally find a stick of wood to be a bit more attractive than a stick of plastic, excuse me, "polymer."

Thank you very much McShooty, I cannot get used to clammy synthetic stocks. Wood saw there way through all the major wars up until Vietnam and did the job right, rain, snow, jungle, and desert as did the ordinance steel in which they were bedded.

I love fine wood, the finish, the grain, etc., and would not trade my BDL or 721 for a half dozen plastic stocked 700s.

Shurshot, I'm in MO and shoot a .270 myself. But a .30-06 would be better if you were hunting oh say moose or bear or elk.

Back