Good coyote hunt

Jseime

The other day I got out for the first time in a long time and finally got a coyote that I know has outsmarted me several times.

I initially scared him away into the hills with my truck (dang flowmaster) but i drove a little further down the coulee and got a good hillside setup and started to call. It took a little while but he started to howl and yip at me from way over yonder. I called and called and called and finally saw him making a beeline for me coming from close to a 1/2 mile away. When he got a little closer I lost sight of him but he stopped and kept howling. I finally got glass on him and he was about 1000 yards away sitting howling and barking.

After crawling on my belly for a considerable distance and calling for a while longer I got him to cross the creekbed to within about 300 yards of me. The sun was fading and I didnt have much more time so I rested on a rock and risked the miss. BOOM, my .270 rolled him and after several misses and several non-shots in the last while I got him.

I hadnt hunted coyotes for so long I almost forgot what a rush it is. To all you newbies out there find someone who hunts yotes often and go with them its worth all the tea in China.

Him sitting a ways off and yipping was telling the others in the area that you were there. Too bad he never took a look at a ballistics table!! Good work!

Nice one! Last deer season I was way into the hills and a darn coyote started yapping at me for about 10 minutes! For the life of me I couldnt spot him and it seemed like he was moving around. I was worried he would scare away any deer in the area. But luckily for some unknown reason I shot a deer in the same spot about half an hour later. Weird. There were 3 of em in the field below us that apparently didnt leave when he was yapping. He was LOUD too. :eek:

The reason that these little buggers are so fun to hunt is that they are so smart.

All he woulda had to do was stay still and I never would have spotted him even at 300 yards but he seemed very antsy moving around a lot and he was moving as he howled and yapped at me. It also didnt help that just after i first saw him i had to shoot at a badger that was very very close to me (because of the call) and i know badgers, believe me theyre no miss congeniality. Mr. yote became very very wary after that first gunshot actually im surprised he still came in.

It's gonna be a while before i can get out again we just started taking the crop off so im busy playing farmer most of the time right now. but ive got that itch again.

Back