Good clean practice ammo

Best to reload practice ammo ...

with same carry bullet at the same velocity of carry ammo.

works for me especially shooting bowling pins. [Darn , reactive targets!]

There are some companies out there who produce range/carry ammo packages. The recoil is supposed to be the same for both, as well as the POI for each, so that you can practice with ammo that replicates what you will carry. "Train and Defend" is one such ammo.

I carry Uw 10mm 200 XTP. I forgot to add that I practiced with Uw 10mm 200 FMJ. Both are loaded to same ballistics.

Same thing with Uw 180.

Last edited:
I have always preferred Sellier&Belliot in 9mm for practice. It seems to be loaded a bit stronger than the econo-pack whitebox.

Once our carry ammunition is proved, we practice with similar recoiling ammunition that's CHEAP. I use hand cast lead alloy bullets that I load to the same recoil. Out to 10 yds, the impact points are within an inch or so. It's the recoil impulse that affects hand position and follow up shot speed. Rod

A little lighter bullet for practice isn't a bad thing as long as you still shoot some full power loads occasionally.
I've read some posts saying the Winchester bulk packs are dirty but I've fired it thru my 40 cal and found minimal fouling.
I wish my 45 cal handloads were so clean.

You pay for my Corbon ammo and I will be glad to .Shooting 230 ball against 185 +P or a 200gr at SD distance 30' in little difference. As for recoil not that much difference.

Not many people can afford to shoot their premium ammo for target practice. I will finish with a mag of Corbon . But no way I shooting a 100 rounds of it at one time for practice. That's a might expensive.

I guess you shoot a lot of 22 and carry one also. :D

In theory, you should practice with ammo of the same grain that you carry. That said, I carry 124 grain, and it's hard to find 124gr practice ammo locally. I have bought some online, but if I have to shoot what I buy locally, I usually buy 115gr TulAmmo BrassMaxx.

I suppose in a perfect world with unlimited funds, we would all practice with $1 per round carry ammo. However, I don't live in a perfect world and I darn sure don't have unlimited funds. If you don't reload, all you can do is find some reasonably priced practice ammo that comes close to the bullet weight, velocity, and recoil of your carry ammo. At reasonable distances, let's say under 25 yards, you should have a close point of impact to your carry load.

Many of the American ammo companies sell a fmj practice load that closely matches their carry ammo (Speer Lawman and Gold Dot is one example). My opinion is that these practice ammo lines would be the closest thing to the self-defense ammo you could get without paying for the real deal.

In the end, I would much rather shoot a few thousand rounds per year with practice ammo than limit myself to shooting a few hundred rounds of carry ammo because that's all I felt comfortable using to practice.

I've been burning thru quite the stockpile of Perfecta ammo,
goes bang every time and tends to be more precise than the usual suspects...
between it and Wifey's reloads, few worries at all.
(Ain't saying I married her for her reloading gear & skills...but it did count in the figuring ;) )

Depending on caliber, my defense ammo tends to be Golden Saber in 9mm,
and the other calibers are all Hornady Critical Defense.
Doesn't seem to be much difference in POI between practice & defense,
as long as you stick to the same grain bullet weight.

Any brass casing with full copper jacket (to prevent leading the rifling in the bore.) Your proficiency does not improve by shooting the expensive self-defense rounds for practice. Once you get your stance, grip, trigger squeeze, breathing and follow through down pat, the result with self-defense will be life-saving.

With high-powered hunting rifles, you may want to practice using the same rounds you will use in the field because of the distance variable.

Back