Good choice?

I must apologize....it was a long day and age must be interfering with my cerebral circuitry. It is not a Thompson. It is a Taylor's & Co. 1873 model single action in .45 Colt.

I was after a Uberti "Grizzly Paw"and after visiting 4 retailers, none of whom had a "Grizzly Paw"I settled on the Taylor's. I just wondered if anyone out there might offer an opinion.

I do, by the way, have a Thompson Contender in .410/.45 but I've only ever used the .410 for pheasant and chuckar hunting.

The Taylor's "Gunfighter" has a grip that is 1/2" longer than a standard 1873 and it's checkered rather than smooth. Made by Uberti.

With those older 1873 cartridges anything other than a 45 colt was a want-a-be.

I wouldn't say that. The 44-40, 38-40 etc were very popular because you could have a rifle and pistol in the same caliber. With the .45 Colt you had to carry two different sizes of ammunition.

cdoc42, I believe there is a rule - when you acquire a new gun you need to show it off. Let's see a pic of what you have.

Had me going there for a little while

Pull the loading lever down and see if there is any information stamped on the bottom of the barrel. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

Taylor’s makes much better guns than either Umberto or Pietro.

Taylor's doesn't make anything. They're importers.

Pull the loading lever down and see if there is any information stamped on the bottom of the barrel. …

Ummm 1873's don't have loading levers Pahoo.:D My Uberti/Cimarron has the Italian markings under the ejector rod housing.

Quote:
With the .45 Colt you had to carry two different sizes of ammunition.
Why is that? (two different sizes of ammunition?)

Back in the day lever actions didn't come in .45 Colt.

Taylors doesn't "make" guns - they import Uberti and Pietta - nothing wrong with either one.

Some of these posts are a little confusing - a loading lever to pull down and check under the barrel? On a '73 SAA? Don't think so

Different cartridges? I have a 45 Colt Uberti Cattleman - the 46 colt is a great cartridge.
but, so are the 44-40 and 38-40 as well as other cartridges. You can use 45 Colt and 45 Schofield in a revolver chambered for 45 Colt - I reload both and do it all the time and you can also use the 45 cowboy rimmed that starling sells.

I have both Pietta and Uberti - in fact five Ubertis - all ordered from Ubeerti USA. Some prefer to buy them through Taylors and some through Cimarron - ad each dp pffer different configurations/calibers. The LGS that order my Ubertis through also have ordered from the other two and they claim that they can see no difference in quality - YMMV/

Enjoy your 45 Colt - of all the cartridges I reload, both pistol and rifle , the 45 Colt and Schofield are two of the easiest to do. Whether new brass or rangers I F< size the first tie and then just neck size -it doesn't get any easier than that.

Did you check this guys out? They have a pretty extensive inventory . I know you already bought one from Taylors but maybe in the future if they don't have what you want these guys could.

Back