Good books to read

muddyboots

Anybody read any good books lately? Looking for something new to read. I've just got done with all of Mr. Hunters stuff. Dirty White Boys was his best stuff. Just lookin for some ideas.

Hi MB, I too have enriched Mr. Hunter by getting all of his books. You might want to look at "No Heroes" by Danny Coulson. He was the founding father of the FBI's HRT. Very interesting. I would assume that you've read WEB Griffin and Clancy's stuff.. Bye, Giz

I just finished WEB Griffin's "The Investigators" on my last plane trip.

I also read "Cops Under Fire," recently, it is non-fiction, documenting the political crap going on in our LEA's around the country.

Also of interest is Making a Killing, a book that "documents" the way the gun industry has fooled us all intot thinking we need guns just to make money.

Of course, you must read Unintended Consequences, by John Ross.

------------------
-Essayons

I have to agree with Rob, Unintended Consequences is a must read.

side note: There was a hunting show on the tube monday. Four guys were hunting quail in Texas, the host kept refering to a John Ross as one of the guest hunters, anyone know if it was the John Ross?

[This message has been edited by walkin' man (edited May 11, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by walkin' man (edited May 11, 1999).]

Describe the guy andI'll tell you if it was him.

If anyone is interested in meeting him, come out to the Celebrity Shoot in june, I talked to him a couple weeks ago and he is 100% definitely coming.

RAINBOW 6

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER

STAR WARS WRAITH SQUADRON

THE DAY OF THE JACKLE

TEAM YANKEE

THE TEN THOUSAND

VIBRANT DARKNESS - Oh - wait - I havn't got that published yet... Should be on shelve next year :)

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I too must recommend "Unintented Consequences". The only fault I found was Mr. Ross was a little long winded in his character development. But still a must read

------------------
"Solidarity is the Key"

PLATOON-BRAVO COMPANY by Robert Hemphill.
This is the TRUE story of Bravo Co., not Oliver Stone's drug induced version.
RETURN TO NORMANDY by Robert Williams.
BLACK HAWK DOWN by Mark Bowden.
1794-AMERICA,IT'S ARMY, and THE BIRTH OF THE NATION by Dave Palmer.
S.O.G. by Maj. John Plaster
STARSHIP TROOPERS by Richard Heinlen, book is very good and full of insights with great story line. The movie was nothing like the book. I was disappointed, it was another bad hollywood adaptation.

[This message has been edited by ursus (edited May 11, 1999).]

Rob, Although I watched most of that hunting show I never did get a clear view of Mr. Ross. It went something like this "There's John Ross down there trying to rustle up some quail" and I would see a guy with a hat about a hundred yards away. Does he have a hat? ;) I tried to see if there were any black helicopters following the guy but I didn't see any.
Since you know him, does he ever post here, or maybe lurk once in a while?
Now Rob, now that I think about it, were there any characters that may have resembled you in UC?
Seriuously muddyboots, if you haven't read it and you enjoy firearms, get Unintended Consequences. You'll love it or tell the store I said to give you your money back! I thought the character development was the best I had ever seen. I need more of Henry Bowman......Rob tell John!

------------------
land of the free and the home of the brave......WHETHER THEY LIKE IT OR NOT

Damn MB, i was just thinkin about postin something like this :)
The books that I would recommend would be Unintended Consequences, Catch-22, Any book of Dennis Mckiernan,and the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Those last two authors are great for fans of Tolkien. Also I would have to say that any book by W.E.B. Griffin is great. If you Like Marine history I would reccomend Fix Bayonets!, and Battle Cry. I read a lot more authors than that but these are my favorites.

Second Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein.

Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab about a SAS patrol in Desert Storm that went haywire. Pretty humorous at points such as being morbidly proud of contributing to the ambiance of an Iraqi prison cell (namely with his blood).

Immediate Action by Andy McNab about Selection, training, and adventures as SAS.

Brave Men, Dark Waters by Orr Kelly. History, origin, training and analysis of the SEAL teams.

If you are hungry for literature try the "Horatio Hornblower" series by C.S.S. Forrester, (Jeff Cooper has a complete well- read set in his library!), and as an antidote for that try the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien.

Throw into the mix Ann Raynd's 1930's novels "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead" - mix that reading with anything by Mark Twain, a little Dickens and some Victor Hugo - and you will never be bored again in your lifetime.

There is a reason some writings are "classic" - it's because they endure - beyond the moment in which we live.

Atlas Shrugged is a Good call!

Walkin,

No, I assure you that Any resemblance between me and any characters in UC is accidental..unless it is because I am trying to be like someone I read about.. ;), god knows I wished that one of the characters had inspired my wife!

I met John after the book was published.
He is a Large guy, with a short, but full, reddish beard, and yes, he has a hat. In fact, I think I gave him one once... ;).

Screen play (high quality and true to the book ONLY) and sequal are being worked on.

------------------
-Essayons

An interesting note about John Ross and his book.... I went to a local Barnes and Noble Booksellers at the local mall in the DC area, ther were about 12 books in their computer by that title, all available either in the store or by order, except the "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. I was told that they don't carry it in the warehouse and they couldn't order it for me for that reason.... silent censorship anyone?????

------------------
What part of "INFRINGED" don't they understand?

Menos, I ordered my copy from a bookstore in the landmark mall in Alexandria. I don't remember the name of the bookstore but it's on the top floor, next to the video game arcade.

------------------
land of the free and the home of the brave......WHETHER THEY LIKE IT OR NOT

I'm currently reading "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. It's a really good read! Check it out at Amazon.com...

------------------
Join the NRA!!!

Unintended Consequences "must read" then it must be done. Lots of good ideas, I've read a number of the books suggested and they were pretty good. Guess I'll just start to make a list.

If any else is interested (I know I'd be) in posting any good books they read from time to time. I tend not to remember book titles and authors very well for any length of time.
As I think about it a few of the better ones that come to mind were:
One-Shot One-Kill
Red Cell (I thought best of series)
Cactus Garden (DEA under-cover, fiction, picked by cover)
Lots of others but now I'm thinking too much.
Thanks for the suggestions.

hmmmm...so many qualiy books and so little time......
The Prince, by Machaveli
Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn rand
The Bible,
and there are tons more...fubsy.

Just stayed up last night until 2:30 finishing Hunter's "A Time To Hunt". When it comes to precision shooting, Hunter out-Clancy's Tom Clancy. Great stuff. My favorite part, paraphrased, "Do you have any last words?" "Yes, three. `Front towards enemy'". BOOM! Great line!

Dittos on "Atlas Shrugged", and I'll toss L'Amour's "Last of the Breed" and "The Walking Drum" into the ring. I've also enjoyed Dostoevsky's character studies in "Crime and Punishment" and "The Brothers Karamazov".

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Well, if you guys are going to get Classic on me, I'll add the following:

All the writings of Plato are a must.
Most of the plays by Shakespeare.
Homer's Oddessy.
Hobbe's Leviathan.

More modern, but intellectually interesting and full of insight:
A Brief History of Time, S. Hawking
Dungeon, Fire & Sword, J. Robinson
Hyperspace, M. Kaku
Holy Blood, Holy Grail, Baigent/Liegh/Lincoln
The Raven, Marquis James
A History of God, K. Armstrong
The Demon Haunted World, C. Sagan.
The Bell Curve, Herrnstien/Murray
The End of History and The Last Man, Fukuyama
Man, The State and War, Waltz

On the more practical side of everyday insight are:
Life is a Contact Sport, Ken Kragen
The Way you wear your hat, Bill Zehme
Hope is Not a Method, Gen. G. R. Sullivan

On the fun side, I can't believe I forgot David Morrell.. he rocks...My favorites include:
The Fifth Profession
Bortherhood of the Rose
The League of Night and Fog
First Blood
The Fraternity of the Stone

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited May 12, 1999).]

Back