Good book on working with Ruger 10/22?

Jeff Thomas

I need a good book on basic gunsmithing and teardown of the Ruger 10/22 rifle. My gunsmith recommended one he thought was published by 'DBI', but I can't locate it. Saw a few on Amazon.Com, but I'd rather ask you folks first.

Anyone seen a good one? If it also covers some other rifles, that would be a bonus.

Thanks for your help. Regards from AZ

I'd stay away from anything by Duncan Long. He's a prolific writer, but there's nothing there which can't be figured out elsewhere or from reading a Brownell's catalog. A basic book on gunsmithing that will show you how to do a trigger job will get you further. Maybe your dealer was thinking of Jack Mitchell's Riflesmithing from DBI. My all time favorite remains Walther J. Howe's Professional Gunsmithing.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Jeff, I may be wrong but I thing the American Gunsmithing Institute has a book and a video devoted to the 10/22. Jack Mitchells Riflesmithing really doesn't talk about it although the basic principles apply.http://www.americangunsmith.com/ George

I just finished the video from AGI and it is was great for complete takedown of the gun. It showed some minor smith work but didn't get into that a whole lot. Gave some good pointers on where to look and see if your gun was developing (or going to develop) problems. It's worth the $30 but not much more than that.

Thanks everyone, for all the help.

I was able to check out AGI, and exchanged email with them. All they have is the video, and I was really hoping for a good book. Glad to hear it's a good video anyway, and I may end up going that route. I'm a little surprised the Ruger website doesn't even mention books re: their firearms. Seems like a natural for them.

Gary, I'll check out Howe's book as well.

Regards from AZ. Take care.

Back