Good bipod for my abolt?

huntxtrm

Inactive
I have a 300 rum browning a bolt. I want to install a bipod on it. What is a good choice? And a good mounting choice? I will be using this rifle for hunting, long range. Thanks for any good advice.

Harris, no question. 6-9" is convenient and light but you do run into issues with tall grass. If that is a concern, go with the 9-13".

In both cases spring for the swivel style. For the 6-9" get the leg notch version. Sling stud mount is sufficient.

If you can't afford $110 shipped (midway), save up and use a backpack for your rest this season. Harris are that much better than the rest.

Caldwell bipods are just as steady but they are nowhere near as reliable. With a Caldwell a nut may fall off, a spring may come loose, or not.

I really like the Versapod style bipod.
Seem to me to be much easier to use on uneven ground, or for a moving target. I'd get the model with the chanting lock screw though, as if you don't for use on the bench is a bit annoying.

Harris bipods are really nice but its really mostly a name. Caldwell bipods are great quality and the 6-9 pivot model is 60 bucks at bass pro. (I think thats what i paid last year) Then again if you have the cash Harris would be great to. I didnt at the time and I have no complaints at all. I have one on a 700 30-06 at it functions beautiful ly at the bench and in the dirt. Everyone i hunt and shoot with use Caldwell and naturally, no one has had a bipod misfunction much less fall apart.

Last edited:
I'm not financially constrained and can pretty much buy whatever gun equipment I want. However, I am a value shopper, I don't like to waste money.

Having said that, about 4 years ago I bought Winchester a bipod from Walmart for around $40 and I haven't seen any reason to buy a more expensive one.

I've seen guys with $250 bipods and they don't shoot any better than I do.

I had a Harris but changed to the Versa-Pod. Shooting a Rem. 700 short 20" brl. 308 cal. for target shooting only. Works better for me.

I quit using a bipod when I determined that it opened up my groups. I use shooting sticks which are WAY more versatile. The extensible ones allow you to shoot standing when brush is tall.

myfriendis410, did the rifle that shot bad with a bipod have a hard pressure point under the barrel at the fore end tip?

I most certainly Can NOT buy any equipment I want (although I laughed at that statement lol. cool story bro.) and pick and choose very carefully.

I also have the Winchester $40 Walmart bipod on a .22lr Remington 597 and it has been fine, not a problem of any kind. However for my $2500 precision tactical-style Remington 700 build, I have a Harris S-BRM which cost like what, nearly 3 times as much? But clearly head and shoulders better. Not even close.

The really cool kids will have and recommend Atlas and that is probably fine... I just don't see how Atlas gives me much more functionality rather than fine looks and cool kid status over the Harris.

tAKticool

However for my $2500 precision tactical-style Remington 700 build,

I'm in the planning stage of a tactical-style Remington 700 build. I just posted asking for advice. Got any pics? Please.

I have a Harris on a Savage LE .223, a Blackhawk on my 700 .308 and a couple of cheaper Outers on a Varmint AR and a Savage MkII TR and they have all worked perfectly. I don't baby my guns or accessories. They are well taken care of, but like any tool they are used because I want to know if my equipment will fail. My bipods have all performed as expected, no loose screws, springs, etc. from the cheaper ones on up. My favorite one of all is the Blackhawk, as it seems to operate just a little smoother.

I also bought one of those $40 Winchester bipods from Walmart. Put it on a Remington 700 chambered in 7mmSTW (which is a belted magnum round). Two years and 200+ rounds later, it’s holding up just fine. I fully expect it to last a very long time.

tAKticool said: although I laughed at that statement lol. cool story bro

tAKticool since you won't show us your Remy here's one of my rifles
attachment.php

If you look closely the scope is a Swarovski Z6 5-30. That's the one those that I use the Walmart bipod, and I shoot about 50-100 rounds a week. To be fair one of the screws did come lose once, but a drop of locktite fixed that. I haven't had any problems since.

Back