Good beginner .22

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and have a question, what would be a good breech-loading inexpensive .22 rifle? I want one too be my first gun because I hear they're more reliable and easier to maintain, what with less moving parts and such. Also .22 rounds are cheap. Thanks!

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

What's your price range?

What action type would you like?

Bolt action, lever action, semiautomatic, pump action?

Well Come to the forum.
what would be a good breech-loading inexpensive .22 rifle?
It would be mighty hard to find one that's not a breech loader.
Did you mean a bolt action?
If this is your first gun, first get lessons on how to shoot.
It's mighty hard to learn on your own.
Then choose the rifle.

There are lots of good choices in a .22 rifle. I would not sweat the "reliability" or "maintenance" issues. One of the most popular rifles in the US (if not the world) is the Ruger 10/22 semiauto; it's plenty reliable especially if you feed it decent ammo.

I'd take a close look at the (bolt action) Ruger American Rimfire rifle as a good all around rimfire rifle.

Hi. A lot depends on your budget, but what you plan on doing with it also matters. You can spend over a grand on a single shot, purely, target rifle. Or a few/several hundred on a hunting rifle that you can also use for informal target shooting.
Look into the Appleseed program too.
https://appleseedinfo.org/

For out-of-the-box accuracy at a low price, it is really hard to beat either the Savage MKII (especially with accu-trigger) or the Marlin XT-22. Both can be had for under $200.

Good advice from Doyle,,,

The Savage Mk-II (with acu-trigger) will run you about $182.00 at budsgunshop.com.

Other rifles (such as CZ's)may be a teeny bit more precise,,,
But this rifle will put the bullet where you aim,,,
And not break the bank doing it.

Honestly, no need to look farther,,,
Unless you like the Marlin better.

Both rifles are very fine shooters.

Aarond

As suggested, join a club, get some basic lessons on safety, gun handling and shooting technique. Also study your local hunting regulations and here again safety is important and a 2nd consideration is not to inadvertently break of the many many rules and regs.

I suggest a bolt action for simple, strong and accuracy. I agree 22LR is the way to start.

I like the Ruger American rim fire. It accepts a scope and you can also shoot with open sights. The excellent rotary magazine will feed very reliable. The ruger is a very nice design. The bolt and receiver are excellent. Kind of a flimsy light plastic stock, not the best. The stock does have steel bedding which is a very good feature. Good trigger. I suggest at least shooting for a few weeks with the iron sites then think about mounting a scope. Or wait longer. I dont know if or how much of this means to a new guy. I am impressed the Ruger.

The cz 455 or 452 is a better and classy gun but it is definitely not a budget gun. You might think about what you like. A wood stock is nice (IMHO), but plastic is popular and lower cost. I kinda knocked the CZ for price, but; for me, my CZ 453 is a lifetime keeper. I have little or no emotional attachment to the Ruger. The 453 is extinct and the 452 is discontinued and drying up. That leaves the 455 that might be someday in your future.

Marlin is now part of freedom group,so; I would shy away from those. The ruger is really a well designed gun and much as I liked my old marlin from before the freedom group takeover, (IMHO) the design of the Ruger is far superior. Bedding, receiver and bolt, whole different level.

Savage maybe fine, I dont have any experience with them. To be honest, I dont think there are really any bad choices. Just preferences.

Consider the Ruger while you look over your many options. BTW, I am referring to the Ruger American bolt action, not the 10/22 semi-auto. I had a 10/22 and in my experience the American is more accurate. I sold the 10/22.

I like the Ruger 10/22 just fine. I have one.

But if I could only have one .22 and it couldn't be some uber expensive target thing I think I'd go with the Savage Mark II as previously mentioned or maybe the Marlin XT-22, also as previously mentioned. If I got the Marlin I'd get the detachable box magazine and not the tube magazine. (This point, tube magazine vs box magazine can cause quite a discussion.)

Note: The CZ 452 is kind of between an expensive target rifle and the Savage and Marlin offerings. If money wasn't an object I might try to stretch and get the CZ.

Just curious, have you ever considered the Appleseed Project? I've heard they do some good instruction.

https://appleseedinfo.org/

Back