Good ALLOY for medium to large game

coachseeley

Inactive
What is the desired alloy hardness for medium to large game? The ABC's book lists mixtures for "medium alloy", "hard alloy" and "very hard alloy". What is the desired mix?
Anyone have any recipes for a good deer alloy? I've seen posted to use 92/2/6 (Lead/Tin/Ant), but the ABC's book says that 90/5/5 is considered "medium alloy" meant to be shot around 1500fps. That velocity is fine for my 45LC, but I'm hoping to push my 45-70 closer to 1900fps.
Are the percentages based on weight? Or, are they based on size?
Thanks.

These guys have all kinds of info on alloys etc.http://www.lasc.us/

I use wheel weights for my 45/70 plain base, but I'm shooting pyrodex. For 1900fps I'd try a gc bullet with wheelweights or maybe water quenched wheel weights.

Last edited:
I use a composition close to Lyman Alloy #2:

Clip-on Wheel Weights - 9 pounds
50/50 bar solder - 1 pound

Tin Antimony Lead
5% 3% 92%

I'm hoping to push my 45-70 closer to 1900fps.

1. Maybe you ought to be looking a jacketed bullets for velocities that fast. When you push lead bullets close to 2000 fps, everything has to be right or the things just won't shoot.

2. Have you ever pushed a 405-500 grain bullet that fast? Better wear a mouth protector first shot or you will be spitting teeth on the second.

I had the "pleasure" of shooting a Ruger #1 in 458 Winchester Magnum. Two shots were all the fun I could handle.

People still use jacketed bullets? I use to shoot a .22 rcbs bullet in a #1AB .223 @ 2300fps. Shooting off a bench with a hot 45/70 might get you flowing from an eye brow cut you probably won't lose many teeth. a big solid bullet will probably go thru both shoulders of an elk without any trouble, go for it.

For the deer and hogs around here I'm looking for a 1400-1600fps load using a 459193 Lyman bullet cast in 20-1 or 30-1 formula. Actually looking for two, slower one is a BP load for a .45-90 Sharps replica and the faster one is a smokeless load for a .45-70 Guide Gun. I think the softer alloy should expand somewhat on impact and could be more accurate in one or both rifles.
Not sure why you'd want to go with 1900 fps but I think you're pretty well into jacketed bullet territory there. The beauty of a .45-70 is that you don't have to make it go fast, millions of buffalo were killed with bullets travelling 1400 fps or slower.

Back