Good 9mm Makarov (9x18) ammo brands?

BTR

I'm probably picking up a Makarov soon, and am looking for practice ammo. Reliablity is a must, and affordable is desirable. I don't need reloadable cases.

For practice FMJ, how's Novosibirsk? Makarov.com has it for $100 per thousand.

Has anyone used the Barnaul HP? These are priced at $115 per thousand.

Anyone with experience with these and other brands, or who would like to recommend an on-line order source? Thanks for the help!

I've shot 50 rounds of Barnaul JHP thru mine, worked fine. Believe I have seen many postings from others who recommend it.

I shoot the Novisibirk in .380 through my FEG APK. The most accurate .380 ammo I've found, for my pistol. Barely beats out the Remington 102gr Golden Sabre.

A bit more muzzle flash and a bit more soot than I'm used to, but I forgive it for the accuracy.

I'm halfway through a 1,000 rounds of the green box Novosibirsk and, so far, it's been 100% reliable. I've also used Chinese Norinco, S&B, Blazer, and Wolf 'white box' ammo, also with 100% reliability although I had a one weak round with the Norinco so I quit using that.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you're shooting a Mak, it don't really matter all that much what you feed it, it'll be reliable.

Anyway, I'd go with the Novosibirsk - Dan's Ammo (link on the makarov.com page) is a good guy to do business with...prompt shipping, ammo is in nice condition.

Good luck with yours...

Owen

Wolf Ammo

I shoot Wolf in my Makarov. It is made by the oldest arms firm in Russia. The same company that made the Makarovs. The gun is designed to shoot wolf. I have had zero problems with it. Wolf can be had from J&G sales in prescott Arizona for $105/case. A case is 1000rds.
http://www.jgsales.com

also, don't overlook Fiocchi...they make some nice FMJHP for the 9 x 18, won't get it for under $100 per thousand, like wolf, s and b, etc.
But it's something to think about. Have seen it around for $10/box

Go with Novosibirsk or Barnaul

But - your Mak will shoot just about anything.

The link at Makarov.com will send you to Dan's Sporting Goods. I can't recommend Dan highly enough - a very good guy to deal with.

I've shot both thru my Maks, and both were utterly reliable - but so is the pistol. The nice thing about Dan's pricing on the Barnaul is that for just a little more than the Novosibirsk, you can practice with a HP round that is suitable for defensive use, if the pistol might be used in that role.

I have seen an expanded Barnaul bullet. I have no idea what media was used, but the example I held mushroomed beautifully.

Hit his web site or give him a call at (724)727-2648.

For defense, I've always liked the Corbon load. Feeds well in my Mak. I always make the second round hardball to ensure I get off a second shot, plus for penetration for cold weather clothing (I live in Seattle). I would like to try the Fiocchi's, they always seem like good performers

Back