Good .22 semi auto for plinking/target shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KowHunter

I am going to finaly get a .22LR handgun. I am thinking of getting either the Ruger 22/45 with a 5.5 inch bull barrel or the MK2 with a 5.5 inch bull barrel. Are these good guns? Which is better.. the MK2 or the 22/45? They are both nice looking guns. I have also looked at the brownings since they are in the same price range. What do you guys think? This will mainly be for target shooting and plinking.

KowHunter,

I own both versions of the Ruger .22s you mention. I enjoy them both very much.

As I'm sure you know the 22/45 has a "plastic" frame, with a less severe grip angle. It also has the mag release in the proper location.

If I really had to choose(and I didn't) I would go with the 22/45, because I'm a great fan of the 1911.

The Browning is a fine pistol, and if you went that way, you would not be disapointed.

No way to loose. No wrong decision here.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Yep, no wrong choices here. I have a Buckmark and just love it. I prefer the way the saftey and mag release are set up on it. Very accurate too.
The Rugers are good guns, but the Browning just feels better to me.

Greetings; I would strongly recommend the
Ruger MK II KMK-512, as the .22LR sporting
arm of choice. Stainless steel construction
with a 5.5" bull barrel make it tough to
over look.

------------------
Ala Dan

My Buckmark has about 40,000 rounds through it without a hiccup. and will still smash beer bottles at 50 yrds. no visible wear on the bore or anywhere but the finish(and that not bad). The adj. sights are easily zero and stay zeroed even after you take them off and reattach them for cleaning. mine are dead on after 6 diassemblies since I last adjusted them. Not bad for about $200 bucks!

The SIG/Hammerli PL-22 is out and has been spotted at guns shows. Where is Cawdor, he will chime in about this for sure. Could be one of the top buys of the year.

Both the Rugers and the Brownings are good guns. I've fired a Buckmark a few years ago a liked it a lot. However I purchased a Ruger KMK-512 (5 1/2in bull barrel) as a plinker instead. I liked the durability of the stainless finish. Although the 22/45 has the preferred position in the mag release button, I found the grip too slick when my hands perspire on a hot day in the desert. With my MK-II I was able to install nicely checkered cocobolo grips. Although they cost more you might take a look at the S&W 41. I'm more than happy with mine.

I adore my Buckmark, though I really enjoy shooting the Rugers.

Nice thing about the Buckmark, it's old home week when you start checking out the ergonomics of the mag release, safety, and slide stop. Good for training if your main battery is on 1911 style pistol (which mine is...).

Ruger uses mag release that I really don't care for, and they aren't as pointable as the Buckmarks, unless you get a bull barrel.

But I love the old Mk I's.

Regards,
L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

I don't know if it matters to you but I believe extra mags for the MKII are a whole lot easier to get, not that the ones for the 22/45 are rare, and are a couple of dollars cheaper.

I really like the Rugers with the Heavy barrel. I think they look better and probably shoot steadier than the "pointy" barrels.

See ya,
Ben

I own a Ruger Mark II and I took Top-Gun with it in the classes that I was in. It is a fine weapon to shoot and it is accurate. I love the feel and the sights.

I do however detest one thing about it and that is the field stripping process. This little piece of machinery is tight and sweet, but it is a nightmare to get back together.

JT

------------------
One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm, and three or more become a congress.

Stop by my site: http://www.memorableplaces.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back