Good .22 revolver

Can anybody recommend a good .22 revolver, either single-action or double-action. Should have sufficient accuracy for good hunting but be small enough that it could be carried concealed in a pinch - so 4" or 5" barrel maximum.

.22 revolver

There are several good .22 revolvers out there. The question would be how important "concealability" is. A Ruger Single-Six is good and comes in a 4 5/8 inch barrel, but a single action is perhaps less "hideable" than a DA. I like my H&R 999 Sportsman. It holds 9 rounds and comes in a 4-inch version if you can find one. Taurus also makes a variety of .22 revolvers...blued, stainless, various barrel lengths. Good Luck!

I'll 2nd the H&R Sportsman Model 999. I have my uncle's - it's a lot of fun to shoot and plenty accurate for plinking/informal shooting. I believe they have started aming them again or did for a while.

Since it must be concealable, how about a old S&W model 18?:D Saw one recently in the Birmingham, AL news classified's for $209.00!!!:) I believe the add belonged
to Plaza Gun & Pawn? These make nice, little trail guns;
and I prefer them over the same manufacturer's "kit guns".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I bought a S&W Model 317 Kit Gun for my wife some time ago. It has a 3" barrel and adjustable sights and shoots quite accurately. Cylinder holds 8 shots and it weighs only 11-12 oz. Don't know how rugged it is, but it is a sweet shooter.

If your interested in single action how about the new Ruger Bearcat. There's one at the local shop that has me thinking. Pretty, compact, light, fairly price, and built like a Ruger. For a small gun they have a nice feel and balance. I have not shot one yet but I understand they shoot well. Perhaps another TFL'er could provide better insight into the Bearcat's accuracy.
Good luck and enjoy your search.

Colt Diamondback for me!

Go for the Colt Diamondback. It comes in 2.5, 4 or 6" VR barrel, adjustable sights, great trigger, accurate. Not cheap, though.

I love my S&W 617 (pre sellout of course). 10 shot .22 stainless revolver w/hogues - how can you beat that?

I like my S&W mdl 650 (I think) 3' heavy barrel, fixed sights, and interchargable .22mag cylinder. Tough to find one nowadays though.

I had a S&W model 63 kit gun, fun but difficult to shoot accurately. I have a 4" M17 that is very easy to shoot accurately, and with combat grips would be concealable, however I prefer the larger target grips that are usually found on M19's. I think the M18 is the same as my gun, and the M17 was made in 4" after the M18 was discontinued. I also had a 4" Diamondback, that I traded for a 6". Both very accurate but I wish I'd have kept the 4" and just bought the 6" without trading. Well, hindsight. Anyway the kit gun was fun, but like I said, was more difficult to shoot accurately, probably because of the light weight.

Back