Gonna get one...cant decide which...?

Eric Larsen

I am gonna get another 357 for carry. I have had an SP101 which I have regreted selling since I did it and currently have a 677 Rossi which has turned out to be a pretty damn good gun.

I am wanting opinions, for what its worth, on the following guns.
This will be a carry gun and will be shot mainly with 357 mag loads. My favorites are as follows......

Rossi 971 Comp/712 snubbie...love this gun
Ruger SP101...again....
Rossi 472....priced right and tough
Taurus 605....nice
S&W Airweight 340/360..recoil????
Taurus 41 mag..5 shot...

I prefer a 5 shot, just for the small cyl. size for carry but will consider a 6 shooter....what did I miss? Price is relavent but
not a deciding factor...

Also I have considered a Charter Arms...dont know anything about them..they just dont look good to me...very rough finish.
Thanks for any input...

Shoot well

Last edited:
Eric Larsen,

Since you said that you regretted the loss of your Ruger SP101, I think it only fitting that you return that pistol to your line up. You already know that you like the gun therefore it seems the way to go. You know what you had but you don't know what your going to get. Get my drift. Whatever you get I hope that you enjoy it and that it serves you well. :) :D ;)

Try to track down a Speed Six. Not a 5-shot pocket pistol, but a moderate sized holster piece, and at least as tough as anything on the market. I would take one over any current Ruger DA.

I agree with Torpedo. If you already liked the SP101, go get another one.

If you still want another one to add the the lineup (and who doesn't!), don't ask which one to buy here. This is a great place to find out about the reliability of a gun, but you're going to have to go try them out to find out which is best. I can tell you which one is best for ME, but not necessarily you.

Since you already like the Rossi and the Ruger, those are probably the best choices. You will shoot better with a gun you like.

I've had a couple of Taurus M605's. Good revolvers, no problems. My buddy currently has one and really likes it.
Had a Taurus M415 41 magnum snubbie. Once again, nice revolver with absolutely no problems. It was stainless, 30ozs, and ported. Winchester Silvertips and Cor-Bon 170 grainers felt real nice, powerful, and controlable. Full power hunting loads were very stout, more recovery time but still controlable.
IMO, the Taurus M415 41 magnum is just about an ideal trail gun. Lightweight for long hikes but powerful. Good Luck, J. Parker

The Charter Arms can be a good choice, just get an older one from the early '80s or so. Mine shoots .357 factory stuff pretty well, but it does bite a bit;) . But with .38+Ps and standard .38s it shoots even better, this is my preferred load in mine.

Back