Golf Ball cannons?

Weird Guy

Ok, so technically not a Cowboy Action shooting question, but has anybody heard of these things? Miniature cannons that are big enough to fire golf balls?

Back in the early 60s, a neighborhood kid had a length of pipe he used for that. Drop in a cherry bomb-lit, role in a golf ball and "BOOM!" The legend goes that he was waiting for it to go off when another kid came by on a bike winging firecrackers at everybody. Instinctively, he spun and aimed the golfball cannon took out the spokes on the front wheel of the kids bike and brought him down.
We would like to believe that it is true.

I made one once out of a jack Shaft hanger from a reel type power mower. Had one end welded up by my friend in his dad's shop, had an oil hole just the precise distance of the fuse in an m-80. Stuffed the m-80 down the "bore", fuse popped out the hole. Filled it full of anything I could find. We had a Cherry tree stump on our lack lot corner about waist high, I nailed the "Cannon" down on the stump. unfortunately, it was pointed at my neighbor's garage... Not thinking that it would go 50 feet, I touched her off....blew a softball size hole in the garage and darn near went out the other side left a lot of marks on that side and cracked wood. Needless to say I had to repair the garage and dispose of my cannon.

Same thing happened to the neighbors garage the time we tried to make a "rocket" out of a spent co2 cartridge full of matchheads.

Life would be a lot duller if it weren't for the neighbor's garage.

Back