Golden Bears Golden Gun

m52a2

Inactive
Golden Bear's Golden Gun is the title of a magazine article in Petersen's Handguns September 1990 by Garry James, pages 25 to 29. The article is about the .22 LR/.22 WMR Cottontail single-shot pistol. The gun as a .22LR chamber that unscrews using a special too to allow a .22 WMR chamber to be screwed in thus converting it to .22 magnum. This is an echo of a thread from 1999 started by "Monty" that never got a response. Has anyone: heard of /seen/touched/owned one of these pistols? I DO have one, but mine is the rifle. I think very few were made. I have never seen any reference online to this gun. I did write the NRA for more info, but all they could offer was a good home for mine. Mine has a story behind it: After reading the article in Peterson's Handguns I called Golden Bear Arms but they told me there was a year wait. I waited a Year and called back, the gentleman told me that for health reasons he did not plan to make any more guns but did have a pair: one rifle & one pistol, prototype guns, both unfinished, but he would finish them if I wanted them. I could only afford one, so I ordered the rifle. When I received the gun a few weeks later I called to tell him how pleased I was. He asked me if I had noticed the file marks in the octagonal barrel, which I had, then he said that he had hand filed the barrel into its octagonal shape from a round blank, I was duly impressed! :D

Cottontail rifle version of the Cottontail pistol from Golden Bear Arms

Attachments

• cottontail.jpg
    cottontail.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 63
I am impressed by just how small this rifle is each time I handle it. The rifle is very small. It weighs 3 lbs 12 oz, and measures 34 1/4 inches long with an 18 inch barrel. It has 15 Allen bolts/screws holding it together not including the two Phillips buttplate screws. The wood is beautiful and creamy smooth. I have only fired it to sight it in and would shoot it more if not for its rarity. It is very likely completely hand-made.

Back