Gold Cup for 600???

branrot

I was at the gun show today, and noticed a private seller trying to sell his gun. Turns out it was a Colt Gold Cup (Series 80). He says he bought it new in the late 80's. It looked like it was in good shape (good meaning it had a few scratches and some holster wear near the muzzle). The frame had been hard chromed, while the slide was blue. It also had an extended mag release and a few other little baubles. He wanted 650 for it, but was willing to take 600. I gave him my card and told him I'd consider it. Well, what do you think? I've been looking for a Gold Cup, but would rather buy a new one. This seems like a tough deal to pass up, though. Any thoughts?

buy now! My worthless brother-in-law (he's really ok except this latest) purchased a beautiful Gold Cup for 500. Looking at it, I'd guess less than 1000 rnds and no holster wear. Now figure the odds of him passing that on to me for the same price. :mad:

Personally, I would seek out a series 70 Gold Cup National Match .45, as they tend to have more of the "hand honed"
features, than do the series 80 models.:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I just bought a series 80 Gold Cup yesterday.Excellent condition with no holster wear,for $625.Can't wait to get to the range with it.

Have to agree...

Jump on that ASAP! Just make sure it's a gold cup, and not a GC slide on a regular 80 series... My dad was fortunate to pick up an 80 series GC last January for 500 - 600 bucks.

Only problem was the previous owner was ham fisted and scratched the frame and slide with the slide release. There really should be a term for this injury to a 1911, and for the person that does it...

I just bought a Series 70 GC. before buying, I shopped extensively and compared prices. The series 80s are substaitially LESS money inspite of being newer pistols.....I'll leave you to your own conclusions why.

Of course, the series 80s have the dread firing pin block.

Pigpen

Back