Golan pistol

aztec777

I noticed this handgun again in a wholesaler's advertisement today. It looks interesting. Does anyone have any opinions about this firearm? Isn't it made in South Africa or Israel? Am I just wasting my time even looking at the ad? Thanks again for all of the information from you fine people.

Steve

The Golan is an Israeli made incarnation of a pistol originally manufactured by Zastava before the unpleasantness in Yugoslavia. Basically it’s a SIG Sauer P228 derivative design with some modifications like the hammer drop lever and take down latch. The example that I examined had a rough finish but the internal parts seemed very smooth. DA/SA pulls were manageable. Didn’t get a chance to try it out so I don’t know how accurate or reliable it is.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Yes, the machinery was sold to Israel from the Yugo company. Definately based on the P228, but not a clone like the DAC-394. In Yugoslovia it was the CZ-99, changed to Golan in Israel, then the TZ-99 when production moved to South Africa. The DAC-394 has parts interchangability with the P228 and sells for $250 NIB at SOG. A steel frame version is due out soon.

You forget to tell that CZ-99 is copy of SIG-226 and is better than original in every aspect of view.So called Golan is shortened version of CZ-99.
Second, nothing is sold to the Israel, but with cooperation with some israeli firm Zastava overcame nazi embargo. Everything manufactured in Zastava is original product by self or improved copy of famous weapons (ex.Kalashnikov AK-47 is improved in many waysin their A-70 (with variants AB2, B2 ..)
You should see the new CZ-999 you will be amazed.
My vote for self defense pistol goes to Glock-21 and CZ-999.

Shoot to hit.

According to some folks who have examined the Golan (and TZ99 and CZ99) closely, the gun LOOK like a Sig, but is in fact based on the CZ-75 design.

That's not bad. The CZ-75 may be superior to the Sig design. It's certainly as good a 9mm design as can be found. This explains some of the "improvements" over the Sig upon which it is supposedly based -- like a "cocked and locked" ability.

(Gun Tests magazine tested a TZ99 a few years back and commented on the fact that it was confused with the Sig. Several people who own both notice the difference. In their big Handguns book they have a whole section devoted to the CZ-75 design; the TZ99 is there. I think the new South African RAP pistols are the same...)

Its apparently a good gun embellished by some smart marketing gimmicks (i.e., "make it look like a Sig 228, and we'll sell more.)

Better than a P226? Can it shoot accurately at one hundred yards?

------------------

Tecolote:

I said the "DESIGN" may be better.

I think, however, that a properly fitted CZ-75 will match an equally well-prepared Sig 226 in most ways. And both shoot about as well, out of the box -- much better than other guns. (The best CZ-75s are those which are made by CZ...)

I don't know of many 226s that will do that well at 100 yards. You may have a good one, but don't expect all 226s to perform the same. At that range, its probably more the singer than the song (i.e., more shooter than the gun.)

Similarly, I don't know of many CZ-75s that do well at that distance, either, but there are probably exceptions.

Remember: we're talking about handguns. At that range (100 yards) you should be using a rifle or carbine, or running like hell... ("Serpentine, Shelly, Surpentine.)

A Sig P-210, however, will outshoot any 9mm pistol at that distance -- including the P-226. I have one, and love it.

(If I could afford one, and if they were being imported, I'd get a P-210-8, with the American-style mag releases and a heavier frame. But $2,300 is just a bit over my spending limit.)

I have nothing against SIGs. Fine guns. I've had three, and kept the best. They are among the best, no-tweaking required guns available.

But then, so are the CZs (when made by CZ of Czechoslovakia.) And the CZ grip fits most hands better. Try a true CZ sometime. You'll be impressed. (You may still prefer your P-226, but that's OK.)

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snide. I agree that the CZ75 design is formidable, simple and extremely reliable. I prefer the round trigger guard and recessed gripping grooves on the slide to the newer variations. I also think the older CZ75 had a level of hand finishing that borders on the custom level. I would recommend them to anyone wanting a robust pistol. It remains very popular with elite teams in Latin America and East Europe.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited December 11, 1999).]

Back